Review of Justin Wise

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Review of Justin Wise

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Justin Wise" by Paul Toplis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Justin Edward Wise wakes from a dream and finds himself miraculously healed from a terminal disease. He also acquires numerous abilities that seem impossible for his age. Not only that, he amazingly taps into ancient knowledge and learns about a different version of history and a secret science. His ventures into sports, music, psychic healing, modern inventions, and politics are phenomenal. His modern applications of ancient science are mind-blowing. He solves the problems of humanity and radically changes the world. The possibilities are endless. Justin seems tireless, and there is always something new to learn and pursue. He believes that the secrets of ancient knowledge are all for the best and harmless. And yet, the ancients kept them well-hidden.

Justin Wise by Paul A. Toplis is a fantastic tale about an incredible man with extraordinary abilities. The story encompasses different genres. The mix of alternate history and science fiction provides a platform for humorous, informative, and thought-provoking social commentary. It examines real-world issues and the concerns of humanity. It covers topics such as ancient history, energy and power supply, herbal medicine, government policies, international political relations, and so much more. The speculations about ancient history and knowledge are sometimes perplexing. A background in ancient history is helpful. But it is perplexing in a good way because it compels readers to rediscover history. I particularly like the scenes about the ancient sites. It promotes awareness about the wealth of information that these places have. These sites guard the memories of culture and heritage. They are still relevant and worth preserving. However, archaeological explorations and historical conservation need appropriate funding, support, and technology. In the story, the daughter of Justin can keep a team of archaeologists because of their money and influence.

There is not much worldbuilding as the setting is contemporary. This approach works well in examining the recording of history. It only speculates on a different interpretation of events without altering the present. For example, the Roman emperors are still the same, and the location of Atlantis is still undisclosed. Yet, the motives of the people involved in the events are different from the mainstream version. Since the story covers various topics, it contains extensive information which the book enthusiastically shares. Board meetings, interviews, and political speeches are the usual scenes. Action, intense conflicts, and suspense are not the strong points of this book. Likewise, it uses the third-person perspective with many dialogues. These dialogues are often lengthy, especially in the retelling of history and explaining the science. More so, the speakers are indistinguishable during these long dialogues. It gives a textbook feel that is dragging at times, which I dislike. It will be equally engaging and entertaining if the information weaves seamlessly into the plot.

But aside from the lengthy discussions, other dialogues are comic. There is a character who stands out because of the cynicism and humor of his outlook.

The language is conversational with a few swear words. Although there are no erotic scenes and offensive content to any religious group, this book is suitable for sixteen years old and above because of the views it contains. Those who are interested in speculative history will find this thought-provoking. It is an enjoyable read for those who are into comic commentaries. However, readers who like action-packed, fast-paced, and intense scenes might want to look somewhere else.

The book is notable for its bold, comic, mind-blowing, and unconventional views. However, I have to drop a star because of my concern regarding the lengthy discussions and dialogues. Also, there are minor editing issues but are not distracting. That said, I give 3 out of four stars.

Justin Wise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This book comprises of different elements which will be a fascinating story to read. I can't wait to devour it.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Justin is an interesting character, I admire the abilities he has and I think this book would be an interesting one, nice review.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The book is a compendium of different elements. I would love to read the book. Good review.
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Amanda I »

That this book is comprised of various elements in literature intrigues me. Amazing review. I would love to find out about Justin's powers and abilities.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”