Review of Pitfalls of Power

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review of Pitfalls of Power

Post by Beatus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pitfalls of Power" by Peter Spencer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The moment I started with the prologue, I couldn’t pinpoint what exactly the book was about. However, as I proceeded deeper, I noticed a tender love story that took me to the deepest levels of emotions and tolerance. Pitfalls of Power by Peter Spencer is a story about Percy and his partner, Viv. These two met in the most unexpected of circumstances and yet built an excellent, understanding relationship. I picked this book because of its political context and satirical language that was masterfully arranged to give a unique plot. Spencer precisely knows which buttons to press to the audience he has in mind, and this book is definitely a home run.

Percy Penislow, a brilliant boy with a tough childhood, becomes Britain’s prime minister. With his wife, Vivienne, they have to deal with the pressures of Britain’s politics. The book started with various private incidents that had a political impact. Percy had to contend with his drunk associates and subordinates boasting about their positions and carelessly divulging sensitive information. Additionally, his minister of oil and energy tried to manipulate government policy on nuclear waste in return for money. This became one of the reasons that forced Percy out of his seat. However, the clever nerd still has a fight left in him. And in politics, they say, you never really lose. How then is Percy Penislow going to come back?

The book is so funny and enjoyable; I laughed my face off. I couldn’t fault it because the author did a marvelous job with words. The raunchy language gave the book a feel of satire; however, at the same time, serious issues are being discussed. I sometimes had to pause a bit to get the intended meaning before bursting out laughing. I would say it is an excellent work of art. The book is divided into two parts that tell Percy’s story from childhood to adulthood. The author did a great job developing the protagonist’s character and that of his wife, Vivienne. An influential personality on the world stage but, on a personal level, his wife and cat are his strength. The couple is like the modern-day Bonnie and Clyde.

I would recommend this book to adult readers, as the language used is very strong. Furthermore, the book has so many violent scenes and thus may not be as good to some readers. However, I loved how the author structured the book, and it made the story coherent and easy to understand. I wouldn’t recommend the book to young readers and those sensitive to violence. I commend the author for such good grammar editing. I believe professionals had a part to play.

I only found one error. I loved everything about this book, from the story itself to the book's structure. Therefore, I rate Pitfalls of Power by Peter Spencer 4 out of 4 stars.

Pitfalls of Power
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The book is an insightful one. The character of Percy is a well-formed man from his experience. I would love to read the book. Good review.
Leah Blackman Pitt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah-blackman-pitt.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Leah Blackman Pitt »

Thank you for your review. I like how the author was able to address serious issues and also maintain a sense of humor as you said. The only thing that might be a turn-off for me is the many violent scenes mentioned, so not sure I will be reading it but sounds like a good book nonetheless.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

As a Lover of politics, I think this book would be a good idea, Thanks for the honest review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”