Review of My Name Is Mahataa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Review of My Name Is Mahataa

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Name Is Mahataa" by Jikun Kathy Sankey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the year of the Water Tiger, Mahataa was born on July 27, 1902. Mahataa's cry could be heard for miles when she was born. Living on the island of Okinawa, Mahataa is part Chinese, Portuguese, Central Asian, and Native North American. An unexpected and terrible storm followed her birth and lasted for only a few minutes. Mahataa had chosen the family to be incarnated into with the assistance of the Original Wise Ones, who came before humanity. A Dark Sorceress visited her family and brought a wooden box of sweets after her birth, claiming closeness to her because she knew her in another life. Her Great-Grandmother threw the sweets out the birth room window with the intent to bury them after their other guests left, keeping a secret she could not share with the others. The next day, she finds the wooden box open with two dead animals beside it. She quickly gathers what she needs for a protection ceremony. The ceremonial paste between Mahataa's eyebrows left an indigo stain that matched the blue spot on her tailbone. What is the secret her Great-Grandmother is keeping? What are the intentions of the Dark Sorceress? Why is Mahataa special? What does the blue spot on her tailbone signify?

My Name Is Mahataa by Jikun Kathy Sankey has many positive aspects that readers can learn from. Greed, anger, and delusion play a large part in our everyday lives if we allow it. One of my favorite lessons is the reasoning behind eating until you are only 80% full. It makes a lot of sense. Another one is the definition of a true leader and what leadership should entail. The mystery behind the number 108 is fascinating. Jikun Kathy Sankey has done a fantastic job with the character development in this book. Each character was realistic, and it was easy to visualize and empathize with each of them. The story is told from Mahataa's perspective and reads more like a memoir than fiction. The book is well-written, and the plot flows smoothly. The author has included professional illustrations of hexagrams and the lotus positions used in meditation.

The only negative aspect of this book is the author's inconsistent use of ending quotation marks. This inconsistency results in over ten errors in the book, and a professional editor would have noticed them.

The missing quotation marks did not distract from my reading pleasure, and I gladly give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book would deserve four stars if professionally edited as there were only minimal errors other than the quotation marks.

Although the book is officially recommended to the 10-18 age group, I recommend it to readers older than 16 because younger readers will have a hard time understanding the book's complexity. Anyone interested in Buddhism, Yin and Yang, meditation, or reincarnation will enjoy reading this book. If you find any of these topics offensive, you will need to avoid this book.

My Name Is Mahataa
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

A book about Buddhism may not really interest me but I'm sure the right audience will enjoy it. Great review.
Samuel Segun 1
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Samuel Segun 1 »

The book it good, but what great-grandmother is keeping she don't want people to know that she have, Dark Sorceress that why she threw the wooden box of sweets out of the room window.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

A book about secrets and dark intentions. Great review.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Wow! I wonder what secrets Mahataa’s grandmother is keeping. I love the book already and would want to read. This is a wonderful review. Thank you so much
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

Looks like an amazing book. The author could work on the errors, I won't like to read a book with so many errors.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I like the fact that there are life lessons in the book. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The book is embedded with a few lessons for readers to learn from. The book would be a good read. Good review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This seems to be a historical book that has to do with a girl who has supernatural power, and I would love to pick this book. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”