Review of Bar Maid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review of Bar Maid

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bar Maid" by Daniel Roberts.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

No one knows how much their next experience will change their life. Charlie Green, for one, had no idea. Entering into an Ivy League college as an 18-year-old virgin, Charlie is scared that he might never get to experience things, especially love. On his first day at Pennsylvania from New York, he visits Samson Street Oyster House on Miss Pettibone’s suggestion. Miss Pettibone thinks that Charlie will only get a few oysters and a pounding headache the next day. But brown-eyed, gentle Charlie Green gets a romance that changes his year in more ways than one. Paula, a smart and beautiful barmaid who men have always tripped over themselves for, may also be biting off more than she can chew. Both characters must feel their way through what proves to be a life-changing year.

As a hopeless romantic, Charlie’s character spoke to me. I love that the author was able to capture Charlie’s weirdness in a way that was ever so sweet and ever so human. Charlie’s awkward conversations with himself and abrupt way of revealing his feelings and vulnerability made me almost fall in love with him. How the author managed to make every other character distinct and fresh was beautiful. I felt Rose’s sense of wonder, Jee-Jee’s bubbly personality, and Paula’s sense of independence. When Angelina was stern and talked about the Dignidad, it made me want to be part of the Dignidad. The author’s character development was superb.

Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts is a story that is simplistic, dreamy, thought-provoking, and intense all at the same time. It is not just a wonderful love story, but it celebrates the arduous task that is finding oneself no matter how different one is. Misfits and dreamers will find Charlie relatable. This is a book for those that believe in great love stories and sacrifices that the characters make for each other. I loved that the author also included some adventure here. Readers will get transported to prominent sites in New York and will even go to France, making this book good for readers who like to travel through characters.

The author’s use of imagery was wonderful. It was great to see Charlie and Paula visit new places. But it was even better how the author wrote in such a way that I could vividly imagine the sights for myself. I have nothing to dislike about this book. I was very excited to read this book when I saw the cover, and I was not disappointed. The author used a third-person narrative style and a lot of dialogue. At first, I was not sure if I liked the dialogue because I believe that a book should use less dialogue and more narration since it is not a movie. But the author managed to make my reading experience seamless. I was never confused about who was talking.

I wholeheartedly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Bar Maid received exceptional editing, as I found no errors in the book. The chapters were organized properly, and there was no confusion in my reading experience. I loved everything about this book. There are, however, sexual scenes and profanity. Readers who enjoy romance and books with the theme of self-discovery will love this book. You will laugh, be bewildered, cry, and be delighted.

Bar Maid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

From the review,I’m so convinced I’ll love this book. Thank you for the review
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

I would love to read this book. The review is a nice one and the author did a good job. Thanks for your review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This is a story about Charlie and the barmaid. Reading this book made me understand what a barmaid was and falling in love with them. What a wonderful review.
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Amanda I »

I love romance, after a good mystery book though. I am also easily attracted to good romance titles. This book seems exciting and I would go on this rollercoaster journey with the author.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I love when authors are able to paint pictures with their words. The imagery depicted in this book was so stimulating and I enjoyed reading vivid descriptions. Thank you for your review
Edem Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edem-michael.html
Latest Review: Loria by Gunnar Hedman

Post by Edem Michael »

The book has a nice perspective, and I'd love to know the end-point of the relationship between Charlie and Paula. The exploration of the characters by the author was impressive. Good review.
Latest Review: Loria by Gunnar Hedman
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

This book has a great storyline and from the detailed review, I'd like this book as I have a soft spot for romance.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book has a good structure and plot. It has a good flow. It seems interesting and captivating. Thanks for the review.
Aisyah Nasir 1
Currently Reading: Mrs Dalloway
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisyah-nasir-1.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Aisyah Nasir 1 »

To be honest, I don't understand the purpose of this book. I guess it's not for me. Though I have to salute the female character, Paula. I think she's the only character, who I think is reasonable.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”