Review of Dread's Dilemma

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Dread's Dilemma

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dread's Dilemma" by Linda Lutes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book kicks off on Election Day in the United States in 2020. The year had been dreadful: a pandemic claiming thousands of lives, there had been killings of people of color, and so forth. Dread lived in Northern Arizona with his wife, Amy, son, Devon, and dog, Sparky. Also, he was a precinct captain for the Democratic Party.

The Democratic Presidential Candidate, Biden, seemed to have an early lead, and Dread and his fellow Democrats were more than thrilled. Thankfully, his tireless efforts would finally pay off. Dread receives a call from his fellow organizer telling him the Democratic headquarters had been set ablaze. Who was responsible? Meanwhile, there are Black Lives Matter protests, and Amy joins in. Are the demonstrations safe, or will there be mass shootings? Get a copy of Dread's Dilemma by Linda Lutes to find out.

Dread’s family reminded me of how things may appear small but relevant to other people. In one instance, when Amy is gifted a second-hand dress, she is utterly thankful for it. Plus, though her job was not well-paying, she was grateful for it. Though he raised small cash, Dread sacrificed his needs to make his son and wife happy. That’s one thing I liked.

Furthermore, there’s care and respect for animals in the story. Dread once rescued a crow and took him to a veterinarian, he threw treats at random dogs, etc. Moreover, though Amy had a three-year-old son, she demonstrated courage when she joined other protestors to stand up for what she believed in.

Nonetheless, be that as it may, I did not like how the book deflected from its main plot. When I read what the story entailed, I expected a deep dive into the malpractices encountered when politics is at its prime. Instead, the book keeps on flashing back to Dread’s past family life and so on. Don’t get me wrong about the constant flashbacks. They were critical to showcase his love and support for his family. Nevertheless, I expected more details on the burning down of the Democratic headquarters. As a result, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

I only encountered one error in this short tale; therefore, it is professionally edited. There’s something for every reader in the story, as it includes horses, dogs, family togetherness, and broken marriages. I recommend it to readers who appreciate books with storylines of animals, justice, family, and feminism.

Dread's Dilemma
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”