Review of Weekend Runaways

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Review of Weekend Runaways

Post by jennydelacruz »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Weekend Runaways" by Leslie Watkins.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In terms of stories about lesbians, Weekend Runaways by Leslie Watkins is one of the few available. This book, with its rare storyline and an enticing synopsis, immediately caught my attention. The story is about an adventure of gay women who were on the run after saving one of them from being held captive by her own father.

Harriet is a middle-aged gay woman who lives with her daughter. Having been single for some time, she tried the virtual dating site where she met Becca. Becca is a beautiful, young, 25-year-old woman with hearing disabilities. The two had been exchanging messages for a while and were even speaking through a webcam. When Harriet stopped hearing from Becca, their communication ceased. When Harriet hadn't heard from her in about three weeks, she suspected it was probably all a ruse.

Not long after, she received a phone call from a woman named Rae who claims to be Becca’s friend. Rae explained that Becca wanted to let Harriet know what’s going on with her and why she wasn’t able to communicate with her. Seems like her own father took Becca from her apartment against her will. She would like Rae and Harriet to come and get her. Harriet just met Becca on a dating site; will she go with Rae to save Becca from her father?

The storyline is catchy as it is very rare for me to find stories about gay women. I am, however, a bit disappointed with how the narrative went. I had the impression that the book/story will be filled with adventure and thrill. After all, the synopsis stated the women were on the run after saving one of them from her father. Unfortunately, the focus was more on the background history of Harriet. I was hungry for some thrilling adventure of the girls that was unsatisfied by the book.

The book is short with only 115 pages on a PDF copy. I identified only one minor error, which can easily be fixed. It doesn’t contain foul words, however, it contains some erotic scenes but is not too detailed and vivid.

The book will appeal to a limited audience. A good read to pass the time for people who are looking for stories about gay women. For caution, I just want to inform you that the book includes a conversation about US politics, so if you are not into that, please do not read the book.

With that said, I am rating this book 2 out of 4 stars. I have nothing against the style of the author’s writing and storytelling; I was just looking for more adventure in the narrative. I do have a key takeaway from the book that I would like to thank the author though.
“Don’t you get lonely?”
“No. I actually don’t. There’s always something to get done…”
I have enjoyed my creative activities indoors, alone, and in solitude. This conversation from the book resonates with me. I will give the same answer whenever I am asked if I ever get bored or lonely staying at home. This would also aid people who have been adjusting to the new normal of staying home.

Weekend Runaways
View: on Bookshelves
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

A escapade among lesbians is surely a unique one. Too bad the action isn't all that. Thanks for your honesty!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”