Review of The Givid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Review of The Givid

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Givid" by Sosena Audain.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The following is a re-review of The GIVID that I completed on June 25, 2021.

Seventeen-year-old Audra is selected to become an FBI undercover agent. The COVID-19 virus has devastated many countries, resulting in widespread illness and many deaths. To control the spread of disease, the United States government has issued GIVIDs, cards that show proof of vaccination. There is a rebellion against this mandate, and there is an organized effort to create fake GIVID cards for those who oppose mandatory vaccination. Audra must get to the bottom of this rebellion and find out who is making these cards. Can this teenager and her team navigate to the heart of the rebellion and its operatives in the name of public safety?

The 12-year-old author of The GIVID, Sosena Audain, does a brilliant job of using both current and historical events to engage her readers. She does not shy away from the polarizing issue of COVID vaccinations and has created a riveting plot centered around the interesting and developed young characters. There is no shortage of characters; even the secondary and tertiary characters fulfill their roles and add substance and energy to the plot. There is a youthful lens to this writing, and it provides an unseasoned, albeit fresh and unconventional approach. It is apparent from early in the book that the author is young and has quite an imagination.

The best part of this book is the energy of the plot and the unique twists and turns that punctuate the pages of every chapter, from the first to the very last page. I truly did not know what to expect as the plot unfolded. In this story, anything and everything is possible. I also enjoyed the insertion of impromptu historical information that was included as part of the character development. History lovers will love hearing about the critical role of the Battle of Midway, revel in the nostalgic words of the Gettysburg Address, and feel the sweet victory of American independence as British troops surrender to General George Washington at Yorktown.

There is nothing about the book I disliked, and I believe younger audiences would enjoy this fictional account, which has just enough realism in it to be convincing and entertaining. The book is professionally edited, and the text is separated into well-organized chapters. For Ms. Audain’s curious imagination, the riveting plot, and attention to detail, I happily give her book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to those looking for an entertaining read about current events, with a little historical commentary mixed in to provide background and enhance the personalities of the characters. Younger readers will enjoy the action and unexpected twists in the plot. Readers who are looking for realistic and detailed crime novels may not enjoy this as much, as this is better suited for a younger reading audience.

The Givid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

I find it totally fascinating that this book has been written by a twelve-year-old and can't wait to read it. I am sure I can learn a thing or two! Well done on a great review.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I was mind blown by the author's age. It's amazing how such a young mind has managed to grasp the concept of this devastating pandemic. I would love to read this book. Thanks for the informative review.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

This looks like quite an intriguing plot. Would definitely love to have this one on my shelf. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”