Review of The Granddaughter of a Rose.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of The Granddaughter of a Rose.

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Granddaughter of a Rose." by Magan Kell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Granddaughter of a Rose is a poetry book written by Magan Kell. It explores a lot of themes that will inspire deep thought. Chief among them is the concept and fleeting moment that is time and how we must embrace the present and not get too caught up in our heads, activities or worries about the future. We have such poems like "In that moment," "Life is like a rose," "In a rush," "The clock is ticking," "Never too late". The author also recounts many memories about her grandparents and family, particularly her grandmother, who she seems particularly fond of. Under this theme, we have such poems as "Last memories," "A remembrance of someone so dear to me," "The younger days," "Walk with grandpa," "Personal spirit". Indeed, this might have inspired the title of this anthology.

We have poems that emphasise growth and the determination everyone should have to live free of the expectations and inhibitions of others and do instead what one wants to do, such as " Under pressure," "Fallen trees," "Ice cold persona". The author definitely has a love for nature, and this is expressed in such poems as " Sand in between my toes," "Ocean water," "Into the woods," "Mother nature at its best". There are various other intriguing themes and gems traversed in this collection of poems. You will do well to get a copy of this book to discover them.

This book has many positive aspects. Firstly, I did not discover a lot of errors in this collection of poems. This is proof that this book was professionally edited. Also, the major themes discussed in this book are quite intriguing and will provoke deep introspection in the reader. Themes such as love, loss, precious memories, nature, self-care, and self-discovery abound in this book. Particularly in such poems as "Do not leave yourself last," and "Change who is being put first," we discover that we cannot take care of others if we don't adequately care for ourselves.

However, this book is not without negative aspects. The language of this poetry collection, while being easy to understand, lacks the depth and dynamism that characterizes excellent poetry. Indeed, this bias may be subjective to each reader since poetry must be individually appreciated and interpreted. However, for significant aspects of this book, I began to feel that the author was merely telling stories in verse form instead of writing poetry.

Also, there were unnecessary repetitions of different themes in this book, such as love for nature and the author's grandparents. Because of all the negative points listed above, I am compelled to deduct a star from my rating of this book. Consequently, I rate this anthology of poems by Magan Kell 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give this book a lower rating because it was professionally edited, and I did not lose interest while reading it. I recommend it to all lovers of poetry with an affinity for themes such as love for nature, self-care, self-discovery, and living in the present moment.

The Granddaughter of a Rose.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Have always been a great fan of poetry. Would definitely appreciate this one.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”