Review of The Blooming of Alison Brennan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of The Blooming of Alison Brennan

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blooming of Alison Brennan" by Kath Engebretson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sixteen-year-old Alison Brennan appears to be like every other kid in school, but her life is far from a normal one. Her mother was diagnosed with agoraphobia when she was much younger. She is also a hoarder who never throws anything away. As a result, their house is full of all sorts of rubbish, making the place almost unlivable, and there's barely any room for Alison to study. Sadly, her father seems too weak to help. Hence, Alison decides to speak to the school counselor.

What follows are events that Alison never imagined would happen. Even though Alison knew her maternal grandfather and uncle, she didn't know anything about her father's past or relatives. However, that is about to change. The revelation begins when an old, homeless man is found dead in a park in Melbourne. Who could this man be, and does his death have anything to do with Alison? Above all, can Alison rise above the challenges in her family and get a shot at carving out a future for herself? Find out when you read The Blooming of Alison Brennan by Kath Engebretson.

What a wonderful reading experience I've had with this one! I am happy to report that I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Kath deserves every praise I shower on her for her exceptional work with this title. You may not be able to relate to her narrations if you have a perfect family. But come to think of it, who really does? From fathers who assume their children must follow the paths they designed for them to our mentally ill parents or siblings we love but don't want others to know about, Kath expertly portrays the imperfections in most families.

What I like most about this book is the author's use of alternating first-person points of view. This style helped me understand the characters better while appreciating their distinct traits and the different ways they responded to the same situation. I loved how the author avoided repetitions that could have occurred from using the style but used it to clarify and provide more information in her narrations. Good job, Kath!

Furthermore, the characterization is praiseworthy. Kath succeeded in creating lifelike and distinct characters that readers wouldn't forget in a hurry. The characters are easy to empathize with, as they have weaknesses, strengths, and unique traits like real people. I enjoyed how the author provided their background stories through their dialogues without overwhelming the reader. There are many characters to love in the novel, but Alison is my favorite. Her resilience is worth emulating, and I admire her brilliant mind.

Another aspect of this book that is commendable is that it is full of life lessons. Its themes of forgiveness, family life, resilience, redemption, and friendship provide moral lessons that are thought-provoking. I learned that circumstances could bring even the mighty down, so it's best to empathize with anyone going through a difficult time. Also, parenting is more than just providing the physical resources your children need. Are you also emotionally available?

There's nothing I dislike about this novel, and I am glad to rate it a well-deserved four out of four stars. The storyline is intriguing, and the end, though touching, is satisfying. The book is also professionally edited, and I found only one typo in it. Therefore, I highly recommend it to teenagers and adults interested in enjoying a well-written, fictionalized story with a strong, female protagonist fighting to shape her future and rise above the issues in her family. I will also be on the lookout for other titles by this author, as she has captured my heart with this publication.

The Blooming of Alison Brennan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hani97
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Hani97 »

After reading your review, I got a general picture of the novel. I can only say that this review and the novel stir the reader's reading pulse. we hope to enjoy with it
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Seems to be a captivating read. I like that it focuses on family issues and a female protagonist is very appealing :) I love the cover very much too! Thank you for this great review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This certainly sounds like an intriguing book with great character development. I'm curious to see what happens to Alison after the counselor gets involved. Thanks for your wonderful review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Alison seems to have a complicated family and more challenges arrive from unexpected events in what seems like an intriguing novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Winnie_Grace
Favorite Book: A Bloody Book
Currently Reading: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winnie-grace.html
Latest Review: UNUM: Infinity and Eternity by Rudy Ernst

Post by Winnie_Grace »

The review remarkably ignites the interest in the reader. Surely, would like to read this suggestion.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I wonder what the events have to do with the fact that Alison was a hoarder :). I am intrigued to find out more! Thank you for this amazing introduction!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”