Review of Comfort in the Wings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of Comfort in the Wings

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Comfort in the Wings" by Jennifer Collins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Larissa is a troubled woman. Not yet fully comprehending the disappearance of her son, Eric, she is thrust into a world of further pain with the death of her daughter, Emma. She is caught amid a myriad of emotions that she can neither control nor understand. Will she allow herself to pass through the process of grief without self-condemnation? Can she find some solace in the familiarity of her job, or will her growing internal pain overwhelm her beyond reason and hope?

Comfort in the Wings is a story of love, loss, and the possibility of redemption. It brings home the feeling of loss in a way that no words can truly express. The fact that one never really gets over the loss of a loved one cannot be overemphasized here. Death is such a finality; it is challenging to comprehend not interacting with the departed person anymore. It is more excruciating when the person lost is a family member.

That a good part of the conversation within this book involves Larissa rationalizing her actions to herself is understandable. The author fleshes out her main character's emotional struggles on such a personal level; it is both beautiful and heart-wrenching. The dreams our main character has almost every night are relatable. In a way, the reader imagines what they would have done if they were in such an awful position. At the same time, they remind me of the futility of an afterthought in this situation.

I particularly enjoyed the storyline. It is soft, smooth, and easy-flowing. It is set so that someone who has a personal experience with such loss can relate to it. The conversations in the book are another aspect I like. They are so realistic that one gets the impression that true-life events are being discussed. The minor characters in the book are also well developed. Each of them has a peculiar story. It is nice to see that, in one way or the other, they have all experienced a version of Larissa's struggles.

I would recommend this book to any person who recently lost a loved one. Parents dealing with the loss of a child would significantly benefit from it. One can call it a manual on what to expect when coping with loss.

Jennifer Collins takes her tragedy and pens it into something to which only those who have gone through such pain can relate. There's one minor error, but nothing to make me dislike the book. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. This is a masterpiece well worth the time.

Comfort in the Wings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Carmeleta P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carmeleta-p.html
Latest Review: My Living Will by John Trautwein

Post by Carmeleta P »

This book sounds enjoyable. I must give it a try. This mother has really gone through much
loss and it is relatable. This story seems to be very emotional as well.
Great review, thanks.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

A coping mechanism for those who have experienced the loss of a dear one, much appreciated review.....thanks
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book has a good structure and plot. It has a good flow. It seems interesting and captivating. Thanks for the review.
Katelin Senatore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Katelin Senatore »

Seems like a very interesting book. Could definitely take you on an emotional roller-coaster just by reading the description. Going to give it a go. 8)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”