Review of Peg’s Boys

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of Peg’s Boys

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Peg’s Boys" by Johnny Tudor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Peg's Boys by Johnny Tudor is a semi-autobiographical novel centered around the life of the author and his childhood friends. Even though some of the events occurring in the novel are fictional, the book is very realistic and original.

Johnny is born to a well-off family that makes its living from show business. However, Johnny's father flirts with other women, so his wife forces him to drop show business, and they move to Wales. There, Johnny meets a boy called Pip, who is very unruly and independent. He becomes friends with him and his half-brother, Frankie, and they begin going to Pip’s house, where he meets his mother, a woman called Peg. Pip has two more sisters who have left the house, so now he lives only with Frankie and his mother, as he has never learned who is his father. Peg has a wild past, as she used to work in clubs and bars, and she is now effectively an alcoholic. She often neglects Pip and Frankie, while she is especially abusive to Pip. Even though Johnny is told by his mother not to hang out with Peg’s children, Johnny has found true friendship with Pip and Frankie.

There were plenty of likable features in this book. For one, the novel was highly realistic, as the plot matched a real-life scenario. Moreover, the author evoked lots of emotion and pathos through the text by using vivid language and dialogue, giving the reader a true image of the protagonists’ thoughts and feelings as the events of the story developed. Furthermore, there was a limited number of grammar and typographical mistakes in the novel, indicating that the book was well edited. What I liked most about this book was that the novel was organized excellently, as the chapters were coherently linked to each other, while the writer employed the flashback technique expertly to create more interest and excitement in the text. As a result, I found no negative elements that I disliked in the book.

This book will be mostly liked by older readers who grew up during the 1950s and 1960s, as they will relate to many of the writer's memories. Also, readers who have lived in Wales will enjoy this novel because they will appreciate the writer’s description of Welsh culture. There were profane words in the novel, therefore young readers should avoid this book.

All in all, this book deserves a score of 4 out of 4 stars. This is because it was professionally edited, cohesively structured, and realistically written.

Peg’s Boys
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

I don't think I will like to read the book, because I always love sci-fan books. So, I'll pass it on
Signature of Grace.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

I like the fact that it portrays somewhat a real story only. Will definitely look more into it. Thanks for the review.
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

This is such a beautiful story. Thanks so a brief and detaled review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

Reading a realistic novel is quite fascinating. The story is a beautiful one that centers on the author and his friends. Good review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”