Review of Robin Banksy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of Robin Banksy

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Robin Banksy" by Robin Barton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Robin Banksy by Robin Barton is a work of fiction portraying the art world in London. The narrator is a photographer turned art dealer that decided to open an art gallery called "Bankrobber." Although he is the protagonist, the reader does not know if he is the main character or the artist, Banksy. For those who don't know, Banksy is considered one of the most revolutionary street artists today, and his anonymity only served to magnify the myth.

After being convinced to exhibit a work of art by the famous artist, the narrator will have to face several problems that would involve an order for an injunction, attacks by haters, and much more. Everything is a pretext to brilliantly explain how the art world has degenerated and turned into a bloody battleground where economic interests prevail.

What stands out is the perfect description of how the art world became a business like any other. There is no interest in artists or the quality of their work in the modern world, but rather the prospect of profit. If art was considered sublime in the past and the artist was seen as a unique individual who could enter realms unattainable to possible mortals, today, the reality is different. In one part of the book, when the author says that Bansky had been arrested and had his identity revealed, the patrons (The Medici of today) didn't care much about the artist, but whether the unveiling of the artist's true identity would reduce or increase the potential worth of their investment.

Since I'm re-reviewing the book, I have received a new PDF after another round of editing. When I first wrote the review some days ago, the author discovered that he had submitted the wrong version of the book (with more than 30 grammatical errors). However, this new version is impeccable. All grammatical errors have been fixed, and I couldn't find a single one. The grammatical errors were the only downside, and now that all the errors are gone, I can say that this book is professionally edited and without any flaws.

The book is intelligent, thought-provoking, and reminded me a lot of Balzac's Illusions perdues. That's why I rate Robin Banksy four out of four stars. It's pretty much flawless. Although the book contains two or three profane words, they are not so severe. Therefore, I recommend this book to all those who love art and would like to understand better how the Western capitalist system commodifies everything and, in a way, lowers the cultural level within various countries.

Robin Banksy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

Robin is a good piece. Takes a lot to write such masterpiece. Thanks for this
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

I've never been very interested in art but this book wants me to learn more. Thanks for the review.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

Indeed, the art world has been corrupted. It's incredible how each garbage is sold for outrageous fortunes. This book seems to detail this reality very well. It's not the kind of book I like, though. I'll pass this one.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

From the review, Robin Brandy is a book I would love to read. The author did a good job of using simple words to describe the artistic nature of the story. Good review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

From the review, Robin is a photographer that encounters few challenges from people due to one of his artwork. I love how the author made the book easy to flow with. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”