Review of What's Not Said

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of What's Not Said

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What's Not Said" by Valerie Taylor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the book What's Not Said by Valerie Taylor, Kassie O'Callaghan feels trapped in a marriage she has wanted out of for years. Kassie and Mike are a childless couple, so kids are not of concern in a divorce. Kassie had gotten pregnant once but miscarried at five months. Mike, Kassie's husband, never agreed to adopt, and Kassie never got pregnant again. The marriage had deteriorated, and Kassie had met Chris, a younger man, and fell in love. She was determined to tell Mike she had filed for divorce and get on with her life. Something always came up to stop her when she tried to inform him. This time, it was a trip to the emergency room for Mike. The doctor said Mike had Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD), which Mike had already known was stage three, but it had now progressed and may require dialysis or a kidney transplant in the future. Kassie was livid when she discovered Mike had known about the CKD for years and had not told her. She felt trapped again, but she would soon find out it wasn't the only thing Mike had kept from her.

While gathering things to take to Mike at the hospital, Kassie discovered more of his secrets. She found lockboxes, one at home and one at Mike's office, and the contents of the boxes puzzled her. Also, in his office, she found a college picture of Mike with a woman sitting on his lap. Who was the woman, and what was their connection? When Kassie asked Mike, he told her the story behind the things she found. Kassie's anger at Mike exploded. She told him she was getting a divorce and stormed out of his hospital room. Had she learned all of Mike's secrets? No, the biggest secret of all was lurking just around the corner.

Valerie Taylor's talent for writing shines through in this book. She can create a scene that is sad and emotional, or sometimes even humorous but always engaging. The characters in the book were well developed, and I can't think of anyone that was out of place or nonessential in this novel. The story flows effortlessly from chapter to chapter and crescendos to a shocking finale. My favorite aspect of the book is how the title fits the story so perfectly. It isn't the things we say to each other that tear a relationship apart; it's the things we don't say. The story sends an unmistakable message about the lack of communication and its damage to relationships, and the consequences of being deceptive.

I would love to say there isn't anything I disliked about this book, but alas, there was a bit too much profanity and sexual content for my comfort level. However, that doesn't mean the book is not good, it is just my preference, and it doesn't affect my rating. The profanity wasn't frequent, but there are some non-borderline words. The sexual content is steamy, making the book more suitable for adult readers.

I enjoyed reading this book. Taylor did an outstanding job with character development and made the storyline suspenseful enough to keep the reader wanting to know what happens next. She also added some subtle humor to the mix. There were a few errors in the book, but they were not distracting to my reading experience. The book appears to have had professional editing. For the reasons mentioned above, I am rating What's Not Said by Valerie Taylor 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to adult readers age eighteen and up who enjoy romantic fiction with trials that keep you guessing. This book may help readers between sixteen through eighteen, with parental guidance, to better understand relationships before making long-term commitments. The book may be offensive to the more conservative reader because of the profanity and sexual content.

What's Not Said
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Lethokuhle Msomi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lethokuhle Msomi »

I like this book. On which the author sinks me in her story emotionally. By the look of these two partners at start of their relationship they didn't share to each other how to move on if a situation is likely to bad.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

This book seems to be relaxing on it's story aspect. The life's issues portrayed therein is actually informative. I love the functional presentation of your review.
Signature of Grace.
David Iba
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by David Iba »

This is interestin, i really enjoy, sometime it good to be faithfull to your love one.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Intresting storyline. I'm buzzing what Mike's biggest secret is. I'll check the book out. Great review.
AmberLiz
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberliz.html
Latest Review: The Assignment by Don Chance

Post by AmberLiz »

One of my biggest issues with certain books are the amount of characters that seem irrelevant. I love that you said every character was essential. It intrigues me even more to read this book!
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

This seems like tragic story filled with drama. A couple always require something that binds them together and a child is an example to that. Really love the plot of the book. Thanks for the review.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Lethokuhle Msomi wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 00:49 I like this book. On which the author sinks me in her story emotionally. By the look of these two partners at start of their relationship they didn't share to each other how to move on if a situation is likely to bad.
They would have been fine if they had learned to communicate! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

GideonWrites Review wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 07:33 This book seems to be relaxing on it's story aspect. The life's issues portrayed therein is actually informative. I love the functional presentation of your review.
Thank ou very much! And thanks for stopping by and commenting.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

David Iba wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 07:45 This is interestin, i really enjoy, sometime it good to be faithfull to your love one.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting,
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

JamesJaphet wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 13:59 Intresting storyline. I'm buzzing what Mike's biggest secret is. I'll check the book out. Great review.
Thank you, and thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

AmberLiz wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 16:42 One of my biggest issues with certain books are the amount of characters that seem irrelevant. I love that you said every character was essential. It intrigues me even more to read this book!
I know what you mean! I thought this book had the right amount of characters because every one of them were important to the story! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Rishi_reviews wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 02:40 This seems like tragic story filled with drama. A couple always require something that binds them together and a child is an example to that. Really love the plot of the book. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The book seems to be an intriguing work of fiction. I love the plot and the storyline, amazing characterization. Good review.
Edem Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edem-michael.html
Latest Review: Loria by Gunnar Hedman

Post by Edem Michael »

There are quite several secrets that exist between the two partners. I love the plot and the storyline. The author did a good job in the character development of the book. Thanks for your review.
Latest Review: Loria by Gunnar Hedman

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”