Review of Genesis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of Genesis

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Genesis" by Marc Zimmerman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mel is a man with an interesting past. Having lived an eventful life, he reminisces on the highs and lows of his existence. Mel is of a middle-class Jewish family, living in the suburbs of Elizabeth, New Jersey. He is constantly at war, but no one else notices or is willing to help him. His many decisions somehow brought him to a fortuitous fork in the journey of life. Walk with him as he recalls his early struggles with his weight, his introduction to a Jewish community, and most interesting of all, his ideological struggle with his faith. Get ready to be amazed by the events in this man's life.

Genesis: Seeds of Being in the Early Years of a Jersey Jewish American by Marc Zimmerman takes us on an exciting journey into a man's unique struggles. The book initially sounds like a nice family-oriented story. But on a deeper look, there's darkness creeping in ever so slightly. There is also a certain sadness in this story — a tragedy that underlies the author's story. This story is supposed to be a fictional work, but it does not feel anything like it. It has the quality of a true-life story put to paper in striking detail.

I did enjoy the author's analytical method of reviewing every scenario in which the principal character was involved. It made it easier to understand the subsequent actions carried out by Mel, and to a large extent, it was easy to sympathize with his reasoning. The author made a lovely attempt at aligning the principal character's timeline with significant turning points in Jewish history. They added so much depth to the story that a true historian would appreciate.

This book has an aspect that makes me believe that minority migrant families struggling to fuse into a new culture will quickly identify with this book. Despite that, I will primarily recommend it to fans of the fiction genre, as it does make for some good, wholesome reading.

Marc Zimmerman pens an impressive work of fiction with this book. The storyline is absorbing and educational, and the flow of the author's language makes it easy to read and understand. There is also a touch of humor and romance to this novel.

I did have some issues with the editing and structuring of this book. There were a plethora of grammatical errors. Additionally, some sentences were too long. I had to reread some of these sentences to get a hold of what the author was saying. For some, I got lost mid-way and had to restart. As far as long sentences went, 145 words should be too many for a sentence; it was like reading an entire paragraph without a break. For this reason, I'd rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Genesis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Same Mashiane
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-same-mashiane.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Same Mashiane »

I think this book is highly knowledgeable and it will be helpful to both men and women, because the author discussed "a man's unique struggles" which is a topic that is often ignored. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”