Review of Alina and her Psychic Dog

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Alina and her Psychic Dog

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alina and her Psychic Dog" by Subram Raman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Subram Raman wrote Alina and her Psychic Dog to make people have more compassion for animals, help us understand the animal’s perspective, and make us more aware of how our eating habits affect our health and environment. Alina lived with her parents and grandmother, who was psychic and could see into the future. When her father received a position at the University of California at Berkeley, 12-year-old Alina and her parents left Russia. After graduating from the University of California at Berkeley, Alina adopted a dog from the SPCA to keep her company. Lawrence is psychic and has conversations with Alina about his past lives and his observations about humans, animals, and Universal Law. What does he tell her? What is the Universal Law?

Myths, dreams, consciousness, telepathy, karma, reincarnation, and death are just a few of the topics Subram Raman discusses in this short 30-page book. One of the most thought-provoking discussions revolved around the practice of neutering pets. The author compares this practice to China’s policy of one child and questions if we have the moral authority to do this. Are there alternatives to controlling the pet population? I enjoyed reading the stories that supported Lawrence’s beliefs. I appreciated the Glossary the author provided at the end of the book. I found this beneficial because some of the terms are in the ancient Vedic language of India, Sanskrit.

I disliked the repetitiveness in this book. The author would state something in one sentence, and the following sentence would say the same thing but be worded differently. This book is so poorly written that it took me a while to read it because I had to reread many of the sections to understand them. This book has many errors, including typos (the main character’s name is even misspelled), grammar, periods in the middle of sentences, and missing punctuation. This book would benefit from being edited by a professional editor. There are over ten errors in the first four pages of the book.

I have no choice but to give this book 2 out of 4 stars because of the editing. I did not give the book one star because I found the history of Hinduism and Buddhism interesting. I did not give the book three stars because it is so poorly written.

I recommend this book to readers who like animals and understand that they have feelings like humans and individuals who need to understand their pets better. Some readers may find the Hinduism and Buddhism beliefs offensive. However, other readers may enjoy learning about these cultures.

Alina and her Psychic Dog
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I was really interested I the concept of the book but after reading the review and finding about all the flaws I am not so sure anymore. Thanks for the great work.
Miracle Chidera 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-chidera-1.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Miracle Chidera 1 »

I find the mystical parts of reincarnation and telepathy interesting and the brevity of the book is lit.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

From the review, the book is a fascinating work of fiction that is quite engaging. Good review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

From the review, the book is a fascinating work of fiction that is quite engaging. Good review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The author's perspective is quite engaging. It would be a nice thing to have a psychic dog as a pet. The storyline is interesting. Good review.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Being a dog lover, I was pretty much convinced that I would love to read this book but given the errors and all the mistakes, I believe it could've gone for another round of editing. Thanks for your honest review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”