Review of Northern Umbrage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of Northern Umbrage

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Northern Umbrage" by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most people have experienced pollution of some severity, and all know it is a grave problem that menaces our world. In Northern Umbrage: Pulp, Paper, Power, and Pollution, written by Dennis Lorenz, the protagonist, Dr. John Bucannon (aka Buc), takes action. He is a young and charming Environmental Pathologist (EP), a detective that investigates and attempts to solve environmental problems, who grew up in North Dakota. When dead fish started washing up on shore by the thousands near the small town of Eagle River, Wisconsin, he took an interest. Once there, Buc learns that there is an animal of great speed and amazing power that has been terrifying the region for months. It resembles a wolf and is known as The Beast. Readers follow Buc as he meets the townspeople seeking to investigate these mysterious affairs.

What I liked the most about the book was its environmental awareness angle. Above all, I felt that it offered an eye-opening look into the problems of chemical pollutants and their dreadful consequences to life. The author gives readers a taste of what the future could look like if we don’t control the damage to the environment.

Additionally, the plot is well-woven and gripping. Lorenz manages to mix sci-fi elements, adventure, mystery, and environmental awareness in a single story, and it gets done skillfully. Moreover, the author did a great job of keeping up the suspense. Throughout the book, and due to Buc’s investigation, the truth comes out little by little, and there are several revelations, surprises, and twists, especially after Buc discovers that a company called Green Bay Pulp and Paper has been dumping toxic chemicals in the water. But I must not give away any spoilers!

The nuanced characters are also a noteworthy positive aspect; there are several well-developed and multidimensional characters. For instance, I particularly appreciated how the author developed Sadie, a woman responsible for the Wild Animal Museum. Sadie helped Buc, and I liked how they explored the woods together. I enjoyed how their budding romantic relationship added to the story. I also appreciated the author’s development of the mysterious Glen Power Claw, a Native-American environmental activist.

Finally, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was an entertaining read, and there was nothing I disliked about it. Also, it seemed professionally edited, for I found no errors. I recommend it to readers who are fond of action and mystery thrillers with a touch of sci-fi.

Northern Umbrage
View: on Bookshelves
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

Environmental problems have surged rapidly in these recent years and we really need to get back on track. This seems like a really good book discussing all about it. Thanks for the review.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

Mixing sci-fantasy and environmental awareness seems great. I love it! This concept really piqued my interest. Thanks for this review
Signature of Grace.
Kibabcock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibabcock.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam

Post by Kibabcock »

This sounds like it will be a great read. You made it sound so amazing and mysterious that I will definitely be reading this story in the near future. I love a great mystery and cannot wait to find out what “The Beast” actually is. Great review!
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

I'm not a sci/fi fan but I cannot ignore environmental problems for the love of it. This is a must read. Thank you for such a wonderful review.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

The author seems to have woven together quite an intriguing tale. This could easily have been just about the environment but all the ingredients he has mixed in makes it a very good recipe for a must-read. Great Review!
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

A book that delves into environmental well-being with a touch of mystery. I would really love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

The young Environmental pathologist seems to be so charming. The washing of dead fishes was really a thing of concern and I can't resist reading this book to know the reason behind this.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz masterfully combines environmental awareness with a gripping mix of mystery, sci-fi, and adventure. A compelling tale that opens our eyes to the dire consequences of pollution. Congratulations on being BOTD!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

Thrillers with important environmental elements have become a sort of subgenre. This novel of this type seems intriguing, also thank to the mix of elements from different genres, so even a story with bits of science fiction is realistic. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Caring for nature and the environment is a vital issue, and I admired how the author took a creative science-fiction approach to spread the word. This, indeed, was an entertaining read. Thank you for writing such an enticing review!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Supriya Thukral
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supriya-thukral.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Supriya Thukral »

This book seems very interesting. Combining mystery with environmental issues is completely fresh and good characters are a cherry on top. Thanks for the great review!
Somtochukwu O Ezeme
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somtochukwu-o-ezeme.html
Latest Review: Krystal Winkle and Galloping Giuseppe by Carolyn Roth-White

Post by Somtochukwu O Ezeme »

Dr. John Bucannon, also known as Buc, is the main character of the story. He is a young and charming Environmental Pathologist (EP) who grew up in North Dakota and his job is to investigate and solve environmental problems. When thousands of dead fish started washing up on the shore near the small town of Eagle River, Wisconsin, he became interested in the case. Upon arriving there, Buc discovers that the region has been terrorized for months by an animal of great speed and power that resembles a wolf. It is known as The Beast.
Chitra Ayengar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitra-ayengar.html
Latest Review: Dangerous Escapades by Ian D. Withers

Post by Chitra Ayengar »

This looks like a needed story due to the surge in Environmental pollution concerns. This is something everyone should feel concerned as it affects the very air we breathe. Hero Buc sets an example how people should be proactive in working towards eliminating the issues and not think of it as government's problem. We all have certain responsibilities towards future generation by keeping our environment and water pollution free.
AmmaratC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammaratc.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by AmmaratC »

Northern Umbrage: Pulp, Paper, Power, and Pollution, written by Dennis Lorenz will certainly add to my collection of action and mystery thrillers with a touch of sci-fi books. Pollution is indeed a severe and grave problem causing ill health to a great many people. This book should raise conscience among those who cause pollution and the authority who can put an end to it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”