Review of Unsilenced

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Review of Unsilenced

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unsilenced" by Martins Agbonlahor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The world continues to grapple with social ills despite the efforts to hack them off. One of the standout injustices, which stands out, is the bigotry meted upon women. The male species support the menace, yet it’s the woman who incubated and gave birth to them.

Unsilenced by Martins Agbonlahor is a spellbound book that delves into the struggles for women’s rights in Nigeria and beyond. Martha Clifford is an intelligent female who refuses to stay entrapped in the cocoon of female inferiority. Her father, Jackson Clifford, is one of the perpetrators of discrimination against women. His thoughts are barricaded with the societal belief that women are objects of procreation and extremely unqualified. Jackson Clifford descended on Martha one fateful day and performed a heinous act that stole her feminism. Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is a culturally treasured activity performed on women to suppress their desires towards the opposite sex. The incident didn’t obscure Martha’s vision of achieving an egalitarian society. She performed exemplary well in school and became one of the teachers’ favorite students. However, things panned out differently when Chief Hellas paid them a visit demanding his money. Jackson Clifford offers Martha to the chief to settle the debt. What happens when Jackson Clifford wins the lottery?

I liked how the cultural theme was predominant in this book. Agbonlahor fiercely writes how society abuses women by associating them with retrogressive practices, such as witchcraft. Such practices against women seem intertwined with poverty. The impoverished are polygamists. They lash out at women and cannot bear the thought of women being their rivals. The traditional turmoil has corrupted women. Some perceive punishment from their husbands strengthens their matrimonial bond. Others believe that educating women dissipate their chances of being married since men cannot stand the sight of empowered women. Most of them also bank on the ‘cut’ to tame unnecessary appetites. I also appreciated the display of the struggle for an egalitarian society. The efforts of women are challenged by those wielding political influence. The Woeman is an organization founded by Martha and her friend, Lucy. Anyone whose allegiance is with the organization faces unremitting exploitation, such as intimidation. Martha, along with the leaders of Woeman, is repeatedly incarcerated unlawfully to curb the ripple effect resulting from their work. I applaud the author for his efforts in character development. Women are brave enough to soak up the unbearable conditions in prisons gallantly, while some men are feeble. They pursue mercy from their aggressors with fear.

There was nothing I disliked in this book. The women characters adequately displayed the struggles of the ‘weaker sex’ in the quest for equity.

It pains me to deny Unsilenced a perfect score. This is due to the minor punctuation errors that exceeded ten. Therefore, I rate it three out of four stars. It accords sufficient time and space to culture, medicine, social injustice, marriage, political impunity, and education. The author’s sense of humor was also evident throughout this read.

Lastly, I recommend this book to those seeking to understand the struggle for women’s rights in third-world countries. As stated, the book was not edited exceptionally.

Unsilenced
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

Martha's life seems really messed up, and I'd like to know more about her. The book talks about different issues in women's life and the reviewer has done a nice job explaining it to us.
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

The book cover is so beautiful, so catchy. I like that Nigeria is used because I feel that although women all over undergo some form of discrimination and intimidation by men, Africa has some extremes like FGM. Thank you for this great review.
Ethan Howe
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-howe.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ethan Howe »

I also like the book's cover and the concepts discussed in the book as they are necessary for women. It will give it a try.
Dawn Miller 4
Currently Reading: Unsilenced
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawn-miller-4.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Dawn Miller 4 »

I felt the review gave a good description of all that the book entails about a very real topic. I may decide to read the book because of the review, and my own curiosity. Thanks
Mahdis Sadeghi
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahdis-sadeghi.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Mahdis Sadeghi »

I love reading books which display social struggles that women go through in their daily lives. These kinds of books educate people and inform them in many ways. Thank you for your detailed review and I can’t wait to start reading this book.
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »

I love this. As a Nigerian, reading about a book that properly voices the horrible treatment of women in Nigeria is such an unexpected blessing. In order to avoid a wrong preception, I would like to point out that FGM is not a widely accepted practice in Nigeria. Unfortunately, there are several people and cultures that still practice this.
Ruth Frances A
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

This is a very concise and informative review of the book. Martha is a good example of the many women suffering social injustices and pervasions, one of the greatest being female genital mutilation. Sadly, this is happening even today in Africa. I love the bravery of the women including their strong stance on gender equality through education and participation. Great review. Thank you.
Sejal Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sejal-mahajan.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Sejal Mahajan »

The book review is amazing and so is the storyline. The struggles that martha faces and the way she raises to a rank despite that is praiseworthy. I always thought that witches were just strong women in ancient time whom the society couldn't tolerate. So they made them look evil, so that any intelligent woman would be dismissed by the society. Leaving men in power.
KatM_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katm.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by KatM_ »

This was a good review and it left me yearning to read the book. I love that the book talks about female oppression and how some men still objectify women. It also has a cultural side to it that adds more to my interest and I would definitely love to read it.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

The unfair treatment of women seems to be worse in third-world countries. This book addresses the struggles for women's rights in Nigeria. Martha Clifford's character is fascinating as she is an intelligent woman who refuses to accept the female inferiority that society insists on imposing on her. It sounds like an excellent choice.
Nyaudo_Press
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyaudo-press.html
Latest Review: The Party Line by Dennis D. Gagnon

Post by Nyaudo_Press »

Culture is a big deal in Africa. This book is a fighter for the African women's rights. The author doesn't disappoint; she plays about with words you would thank her for writing this book. You would also thank yourself for choosing to read this book.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

This book is an eye opener. It's surprising to read about all the things women go through and how they are unfairly treated in these countries. Your review gave a very detailed summary of the book. Thanks for the review.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Informative and eye-opening, today's BOTD is a powerful read that will leave a lasting impact with readers everywhere. Those looking to learn more about the extreme challenges and struggles females face in 3rd world countries, specifically in Nigeria, will not want to miss this one! In addition, readers interested in books about cultural practices, norms, and injustices, as well as the unforgettable women who fight against these injustices, this is the book for you! Thank you for the helpful review...it was very well-written. :-)
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

It is good that FGM is being brought to light so that people will be aware of this happening in some places in Africa. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”