Review of The Contract

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Review of The Contract

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Contract" by P. A. Hempel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sue, a high school English teacher in Queens, posts an ad. Though she is young, beautiful, and athletic, her kidneys have begun to fail and she desperately needs a kidney transplant that is compatible with her rare blood type. In return for a viable kidney, she promises the donor one year of free sex. Josh, a 30-year-old computer programmer, is enticed by the curious offer and responds to the ad. The two meet to discuss a “contract.” Josh finds Sue stunningly gorgeous and intriguing. He cannot believe his luck but has reservations about jumping into this situation. A visit to his doctor confirms that Josh is in tip-top shape and a good candidate to donate a kidney to Sue. Will this be the heaven he thinks it will be? Could there be any regrets?

The Contract by P.A. Hempel is a book unlike any other I’ve ever read. Its topic leaves plenty of room for contemplation and reflection. The influential themes of existentialism, esteem, and regret coupled with the consequences for one’s choices make this a satisfying read. The text on the cover, “Jean-Paul Satre, meet Erica Jong” definitely rings true in this piece. Sartre’s ideas of freedom and the power of choice are seen in the characters’ wistful thoughts and actions. Likewise, Jong’s ideas of feminism are also on display throughout the book.

The best part of this story was the unexpected depth of introspect shown by the main characters as the plot unfolded. In the heat of the moment, choices are made. Consequences follow. In the beginning chapters, the story felt a little idle and the development of the characters seemed unfinished. I liked the characters but did not feel connected to them. Towards the middle of the book, though, themes emerged, and the characters became more relatable. There was also considerable humor in the book. Ironically, this humor added a bit of realism to the story, and I enjoyed the wit of the author. Readers must read the book all the way to the end to fully appreciate the depth of this story; the cohesiveness of the themes is not evident in the opening chapters and is quite unexpected.

Other than the somewhat one-dimensional beginning of the book, I have no dislikes about this story. The book’s superb editing is also worth mentioning, as I only found one very minor error. The physical layout of the book is attractive and organized; the chapters are perfect in length and have catchy, relevant titles. For the slightly slow beginning and limited character development in the first few chapters, I deduct one star from the rating and give The Contract 3 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to mature readers who are looking for a short read that centers on relationships. Younger adults will appreciate the author’s use of themes and humor and will find them relevant to their lives. It should be noted that there are many explicit sexual descriptions, along with moderate profanity throughout the story. Readers sensitive to this should not read this book.

The Contract
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rowan The-First
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rowan-the-first.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Rowan The-First »

I have read the summary and it appears to be an appealing love story. Nothing you disliked about this novel and it has an element of humuor. The review is well arranged and I liked it.
What's the reason for your creation, Who really created you and why. Kind regards, That's Rowan of Islam. :?: :tiphat:
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

This seems to promise a suprising love story. Thanks for sharing this.
Signature of Grace.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

The title is captivating. I thought it was a contract for killing someone. However, the storyline did not disappoint. I can't imagine being desperate enough to offer free sex for a whole year. I would love to read this book. Thanks for the great review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The plot of the book is intriguing, the title is captivating. I would love to read the book so as to know if Josh regretted his actions. Good review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The title implies that there's a transaction between two parties. Josh's an amazing character, and I would love to know how ended with Sue. Thanks for your review.
Raymonda onwuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Raymonda onwuka »

Sounds interesting, a contract that between a young lady desperate to survive and a guy who found her stunning. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

This sounds like a book worth reading. I would love to know what happened after the year was over. Would Sue and Josh stay together.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”