Review of Solomon’s Porch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Review of Solomon’s Porch

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Solomon’s Porch" by Janet Morris Grimes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the sun was setting, an elderly man stumbled out of the graveyard onto the road, leaning heavily on his cane. He wasn’t sure which way was home. The road was curvy and treacherous. The distracted driver of the convertible didn’t see the old man in time. As the car struck him, the old man flew up and landed in the convertible’s backseat. In a panic, the driver left the man at a fire station in a nearby town. He didn’t contact the police. Will the old man get medical attention in time? Who is the old man? What was he doing in the graveyard? Why did the hit-and-run driver act this way? This is the exciting beginning to Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes.

Interesting characterization is the author’s strength, and this is what I liked best about the book. Solomon, the old man, has a heartbreaking yet uplifting backstory. He overcame adversity and made a difference in many people’s lives. He feels like a real person to me and is someone I would have liked to have known. His story shows how elderly people are many times forgotten. The driver’s story is also sad, as we learn why he didn’t contact the police. Although what he did was wrong, I could understand his reasoning and felt sorry for him.

Along with these two main characters, we also meet Detective Cameron Sterling, the police officer assigned to the investigation. Determined to identify the victim and find the hit-and-run driver, he spends a lot of overtime on the case. We also learn about his home life and his goal to quit smoking. Harper Phillips is the hospital caseworker and single mother to a teenage daughter. The old man seems familiar to her, but she can’t figure out how she knows him. Finally, there is Brock Timberland, the new minister in the small town of Ginger Ridge. He comes to the hospital to pray for another patient and becomes involved in the mystery of the old man’s identity. It was interesting to see how these very different characters were all connected.

There was only one minor problem with the story. I felt the fate of the driver was unrealistic. In our world, with bureaucratic red tape and coldhearted indifference, I don’t think the book’s outcome is possible. However, many readers will disagree with me on this point, and many will like the ending.

I recommend this story to readers who like character-driven novels. If you like uplifting and feel-good stories, it is one you will like. I found no spelling or grammatical errors in this exceptionally well-edited book. I also discovered no profanity, which is unusual and refreshing in a modern, adult novel.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story and found Solomon to be a wonderful character. This novel deserves my highest praise and merits a perfect score. I am rating Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes with 4 out of 4 stars.

Solomon’s Porch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

With the introductory paragraph, I feel sorry for the old man. I'm looking forward to knowing Solomon's character. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”