Review of You The Real State Of Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: MISNEACH, The Story of Flora MacDonald by K.L. Huntley
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Review of You The Real State Of Life

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You The Real State Of Life" by Austin Bergman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You. The Real State of Life by Austin Bergman is a candid memoir detailing the author’s struggles with coming out as a gay man. Bergman and his wife owned a successful real estate agency. They enjoyed an affluent lifestyle as the result of their hard work and dedication to the business. They had two daughters and a beautiful home. To friends and family, Bergman appeared to be the epitome of the American Dream. However, he was never happy. Although he had everything most people dream about, he knew he was living a lie.

Bergman’s life came crashing down around him when his wife served him with divorce papers. He had to examine his life and decide who he really was, and what he really wanted out of life. He decided to tell his close friends and family that he was gay. He knew it would be difficult; however, he decided that he needed to become his authentic self. He decided to move to a new state and start over. He used the skills he developed in real estate to create a new career in Florida. Once he stopped lying about who he really was, he began living the life he wanted. Eventually, this resulted in a healthier and happier life. He provides advice and guidance to people struggling to find their true selves.

I enjoyed reading this book. When he discussed his hardships and struggles, he was very open and honest with readers. He described his marriage and the conflicts he had with his wife. Readers struggling with an unhappy marriage can relate to his story. Although the focus is on his life as a gay man, he provides advice to readers struggling with determining who they are, and what they want to accomplish in life. People tend to follow societal norms and let society dictate the normal way to live. However, every person is unique and needs to find their own path. I think this is an important message for readers, regardless of what issues they may be struggling with in their lives.

I liked the author’s brutal honesty when describing his life and struggles. That is what I liked most about the book. He acknowledges that he was in a doomed marriage from the start; however, his marriage provided him with his children. He is a proud father and loves his children very much. Readers can relate to his honesty and advice. However, there are more than ten errors in this book. That is what I liked least about it. There were grammatical and formatting errors that were distracting at times. The book would benefit from professional editing.

I recommend this book to readers struggling with finding their true selves. The author provided a wealth of advice based on his experiences. Bergman was able to restart his life and career as a gay man and become happy and successful. For readers struggling with their sexuality, this book can provide helpful advice. I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t rate it lower because I admire the author’s courage in telling his story honestly and openly. The advice he provides to readers shows a genuine interest in helping people who are struggling. Since there were over ten errors in the book, I could not give it a higher rating.

You The Real State Of Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I haven't read a book with a theme like this and I'm quite interested to know what happened next to Bergman and how he cope up with everything. Thanks for the review.
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Permaculture for the Absolute Beginner by Dawn Raynes
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

This was a brave undertaking. I hope that by sharing his story he can help others.
David Iba
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by David Iba »

This is interesting one, must people leave this type of life some time leaded them to success. Thank God that he finally provide advice to those who struggle for their dream to come true.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

One can only admire the author's courage in deciding to write this book. However, it should never be that difficult to share who and what you truly are. Once you are honest with yourself, it is half the battle won. Thank you for a very good review!
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The matter of sexuality can affect our relationships with people. This book is a memoir, and I kinda relate with the author on his perspective. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”