Review of High Crimes Against the Crown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 757
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Review of High Crimes Against the Crown

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "High Crimes Against the Crown" by Patrick DeVaney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

High Crimes Against the Crown, by Patrick DeVaney, is a fictional book that incorporates the places the author has visited in Ireland and while walking the 500-mile Camino De Santiago pilgrimage on the Iberian Peninsula. After being severely beaten by an escaped prisoner from the New York Turnstone Prison, Officer Conor Caldemeyer is put on leave for one year to heal from his injuries. He agrees to visit Ireland with his friend, Alec Mahony. In Ireland, he meets a woman named Billi, the Vice President of Operations for the Holylanders who work with the Green Liberation Front (GLF) to interrupt British activities without injuring anyone. After becoming involved in the revolution between Northern Ireland and Britain, Conor is accused of murdering a member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces. With a price on his head, Conor has to avoid the long arms of the Queen of England. Does he escape, or does the British army find him? Did he go against the GLF by killing a British soldier? You will not regret reading this humorous book to find out.

One of the best aspects of this book is the pictures the author included of his life that follow the plot in the book. For example, there are pictures of a Fort Henry, New York squad card, Bunratty Castle, road signs with bullet holes, a mountain called Alto del Perdon (The Height of Forgiveness), and guarded checkpoints, to name a few. Patrick DeVaney’s development of the characters includes vivid descriptions and the Irish dialect. He has included footnotes that provide definitions or explanations of unfamiliar terms; for instance, “mhuirnin” means “darling.” Patrick DeVaney has included a couple of poems, one by the Irish Poet Lady Jane Wilde and another by Bernard McGarry. There is humor throughout the book as he uses phrases like “people who did it were cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.” I enjoyed reading about the history of Ireland. The preview to the sequel of this book promises more excitement about Conor’s journey.

I did not encounter any negative aspects in this book. I was continually turning the pages in suspense about what would happen next. I laughed and shook my head at many of Conor’s antics. I look forward to reading more about Conor’s journey in the sequel.

This well-written 373-page book has been professionally edited as I only found three errors. There is absolutely no reason for me to give this book less than 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to mature adults interested in the Irish Freedman Movement, mystery, and romance. Sensitive readers need to be aware that the book contains religious content consisting of the Lord’s Prayer, Hail Marys, and a Catholic pilgrimage. There is also some non-descriptive sexual content and non-borderline profanity.

High Crimes Against the Crown
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Shivansh_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Shivansh_Reviews »

The plot of the book seems quite interesting to me. I think it is a bit complex so I'm not so sure if I want to go for it or not. Thanks for the insightful review.
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

The plot seems to have many twists and turns. I like that.
Georgina Rossi
Currently Reading: Secrets the Walkers Keep
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Georgina Rossi »

I have to agree with Shivansh_Review. Sounds very complicated and may evoke uncomfortable emotions for readers. Bertha Johnson, thank you for the in-depth review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The book cover design is quite shady. The book, according to the review, is a complicated story that involves the author's experience. It is thought-provoking. Thanks for your great review.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

I love Romance fiction so I'm definitely checking this one out. Great review.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

Along with humor this story seems to have twists also. Interesting storyline. Thank you for your review.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

Real-life pictures depict authenticity. I'm happy that the author included them. I feel that I could learn a thing or two from the author's story.
UcheUche18
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by UcheUche18 »

Country histories tire me out most of the time, to be honest. But since this has some humour in it, because life is too short to always be serious, I guess I'd give it a shot. Thanks for the review.
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Post by Pauls_ »

The plot is intriguing. I like books that contains pictures because they make an easy read. Nice review.
cutemami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutemami.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by cutemami »

This book seems well executed but I do not see myself enjoying its genre. Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”