Review of African Graffiti

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3049
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Review of African Graffiti

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "African Graffiti" by Lokhilesh Takoor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Following a successful job application, the Red Lotus sends Lokhi to Madagascar. He has heard a few things about the continent, but his arrival means he will experience everything firsthand. There are differences between Madagascar and his homeland and within the new country itself. Lokhi describes these differences perfectly, noting the feelings they evoked. In African Graffiti, the author Lokhilesh Takoor narrates the adventures of an expatriate worker. The story comprises travels, work, friendship, and disclosure of intrinsic motivations.

Lokhi’s musings reveal many sweet and bitter truths in life. He discloses how multinational companies, at times, risk the safety of their employees knowing they are replaceable parts in the big machinery. What about the subtle lessons that nature teaches us when we learn to pay attention? Despite the sorrowful atmosphere brought about by instabilities, there was always something to look forward to. The spirit to look beyond present circumstances, live one day at a time, and remain determined is inspirational. There was a thrill that accompanied fear of the unknown. In the jungle, you never knew what would cross the path of the characters, and the cities and villages held numerous mysteries as well. Whereas the story lacks a central conflict, the ending was a fitting closure to it all.

The characters are brilliant because they are in their natural human element. They are driven by distinct motives and are dynamic. What kept me glued to the pages of the book was the desire to know what Lokhi would be into and his response to the prevailing circumstances, which changed constantly. In this world, nothing is ever the same. A semblance of calmness seems to be an interlude between two storms, either internal or external storms. The book offered a unique view of several countries such as Madagascar, Comoros, Botswana, and Congo, and all of them were excellent.

The one aspect I did not like about the book was the time shifts. The plot would progress only to move back in time and undo all the changes that had occurred until then. Broken relationships would be back, not because of a reunion, but to the moment before it shattered. The shifting back and forth in time would have been more enthralling if executed properly. In this instance, it made the storyline confusing, as there were times I had to go back to confirm how scenes had shifted.

I rate the book three out of four stars owing to the number of errors I encountered and the confusion arising from the time shifts. A lower rating is not justified because the characters were believable, and the atmosphere of uncertainty keeps one turning from one page to the next. Apart from one profane word, there is nothing to hinder fans of general fiction from reading this book. It will appeal most to those who enjoy character-driven stories focusing on work, travel, and interaction with new cultures.

African Graffiti
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

I have read this book in the past and this is beyond amazing. Too bad I encountered so many errors.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

Going to an entirely new place and new environment in connection with one's job gives a person a opportunity to see new places and find new friends and colleagues. The theme of the book appears to be interesting one and this review has brought a glimpse of that. I would like to go through this book sometime in future.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Madagascar is a unique and wonderful place. I liked that the novel takes place there. Encounting new cultures is interesting and there are always lessons to be learnt. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I've also experienced shift in work and environment, so it feels good reading about someone else's experience.
Freddywurld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Freddywurld »

I have always love to visit Madagascar one day. The fact that this book centers around Madagascar and some of the neighboring countries drives me to add this book to my bookshelf.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”