Review of Twin Bill

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Twin Bill

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Twin Bill" by Mike McSorley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Twin Bill, Mike McSorley wrote an interesting baseball story that had J.C. Taylor at the centre of it. After a great baseball season with the Washington baseball team, J.C. was surprisingly sent off by the management in an unanticipated swap deal with Buckeye, a Columbus team. How swiftly the deal happened was a major shock to J.C. Taylor. Aside from the initial shock he felt, he was utterly confused about beginning a new life with the Columbus team. The Washington team was all he had known for the longest time. He felt betrayed by them. His wife, Janice, had the same feeling, but they had to accept their fate. He would leave his family for Columbus and only visit at intervals.

J.C. Taylor had no option but to brace himself for the new challenge with his new team. The new team gave him a warm welcome and provided him with a good ambiance. He wasn't impressive in his first few games but eventually picked up form. He surprisingly met Barbara, an old friend he once had a romantic connection with, in Columbus. She seemed willing to revive the old affection they once shared. Uncover more about J.C. Taylor from this book.

I love the chronological arrangement of events in the story. The events were sequentially arranged, and that made for easy comprehension of the story. I love that the book passed great lessons of resilience and teamwork. J.C. Taylor and the Buckeye team exemplified those attributes; they worked as a team for every game, and they showed resilience. Also, the introduction of Barbara's character added spice to the story. She shook things up a little and introduced a bit of suspense to the story. The book also stressed the need to uphold family values regardless of whatever situation one may find one's self. J.C. Taylor was an excellent example of a man that upheld his values. To wrap up this section of the review, I must not fail to credit the author for his mastery of the baseball game. His analysis of the game was superbly done.

I didn't quite appreciate the technicality of the book. A reader who is not a baseball fan will find it very difficult to comprehend and enjoy the story. The author didn't make enough effort to simplify the game and bring it to the layman's level of understanding. Also, a lengthy part of the book captioned 'Playback' seemed not to have any substantial bearing on the story. I couldn't understand why it was included in the story.

I found no spelling or grammatical errors in the book, so it's correct to say that it was exceptionally well edited. However, owing to the negative points noted in the fourth paragraph of this review, I will deduct one star from it. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it lower because it was still an interesting book that had a lot to teach a novice about the game of baseball. It also contained a lot of life lessons.

The book is a perfect fit for lovers of baseball. They will have the best time reading it. Also, readers going through difficult moments in their lives could pick a lesson or two that will help them navigate through those times from the book.

Twin Bill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Interesting review. It'll be exciting to read about Taylor's baseball career with the new team. I hope he succeeds.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

I would love to read this book. I don't know much about baseball but the story does seems interesting for me to read and get to know about game itself. Thank you for a well written review.
Joshua Manzano
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joshua Manzano »

This is a fascinating review. Taylor's baseball career with the new organization will be fascinating to follow. I sincerely hope he succeeds.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Thank you for your review. The book seems great, but I'm not sure I could handle the technicality of baseball. This may not be the book for me, but I appreciate your review
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Sports and social interactions always go hand in hand, very nice review....
katerina_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katerina-12.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by katerina_12 »

Although I'm not interested in baseball, your review has aroused my interest. Thanks for the excellent review!
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

I do not understand anything about baseball and I think I might find understanding this book difficult too even though the storyline is interesting

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”