Review of Born a Narcissist

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Review of Born a Narcissist

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Born a Narcissist" by Rosie Raille.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Born a Narcissist, by Rosie Raille, is a crime book, involving family matters. Mary Bradley, alias Joan Redman, was seventy years old. As she was in a bookshop in Camberwell, having a book signing, she was attacked. Afterwards, she went into a coma. Meanwhile, Mary's book was about his son, Nigel, portraying all his negative sides.

As soon as Mary got into a comatose state, her spirit left her body, joined the "Others,"and started seeing a replay of her past life, involving her childhood, parents, husband, kids, friends, relationships and so on. She saw many notable events in the past in a clearer form. Who would have had a motive to eliminate Mary? Could it really have been Nigel, who had stumbled onto the book and saw that it was about him, despite the fact that it had been hidden from him?

This book is interesting and easy to read. The author gives rich descriptions of events, though the story goes back and forth, presenting the past and present events intermittently, as the author reveals the protagonist's family life and the challenges she faced while raising her son. In addition, Rosie reveals how Nigel turned against Mary. What I like most about this publication is that the conversations are intriguing and sometimes witty. That feature makes it more engaging. Moreover, it unveils the very picture of a narcissist through Nigel's life from his childhood to adulthood.

Furthermore, the book has many characters, and the author did a good job of describing them, providing enough details to make them relatable. Mary is an intelligent and a hardworking woman. Nigel has been demanding from his childhood, always trying to be the center of his parents' universe and bullying his sister.

Though the book is enlightening, with a coherent plot, it's somewhat bulky. Hence, it gets tiresome sometimes, and a reader who prefers a short read might not enjoy it. There are too many happenings. It consists of three books in a trilogy. I think the author should have published each book separately. Besides, the investigatory aspect seems shallow. Since it involves crime, more details should have been added to the investigation.

In conclusion, I rate Born a Narcissist 4 out of 4 stars. I couldn't rate it lower because it's interesting and educative. The author related her story in a fascinating and clear manner. Moreover, it seems professionally edited, but I saw a couple of typographical errors, which were not off-putting. It'll be a worthwhile read for anyone who really wants to know more about narcissism and how to cope with a narcissist.

Born a Narcissist
View: on Bookshelves
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The plot of the book is quite intriguing and the content is educative. The book delves into the life of Mary Bradley and the actions she made while she was younger. I would love to read this book so as to know who attacked her. Thanks for your review.
Ctk_1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ctk_1 »

I love the plot ,it is very intriguing and it makes me just want to dive into it and read to satisfy the inquisitiveness it has raised.Born of a narcissistic .
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Interesting storyline. I love crime books. Thank you for the review.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Sounds like an interesting storyline. The transition is quite interesting from death to past life to present. I just don't get how she will catch her attacker if her spirit left her body.hence unconscious. Love the book cover though
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

All families have their own problems. Nigel and Mary’s, however, seem to go way beyond the normal.
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

This seems like a really interesting book with a great plot. I see potential in its storyline and will try to get my hands on it. Thanks for the review.
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

Wow, first and foremost, the book's cover is really stunning! I haven't read a book like this in a long time, so I'm curious to see how good it is. Good job with rhe review.☺️

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”