Review of Change Her Fate: Volume 1

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossing Paths by Nina Purtee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Review of Change Her Fate: Volume 1

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Change Her Fate: Volume 1" by Aaron LaMar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

;Narrated by the first person views of Jack, Heather, and Lisa, Change Her Fate: Volume 1 is a young adult thriller. Aaron LaMar introduces Jack, daydreaming about his middle school crush, Heather. Somewhat perplexed by the favor Heather has asked of him, Jack knows he has to confess his feelings before she leaves for Vocal Camp. Interestingly, her younger sister coaches Jack on how to ask Heather out. After a brief altercation with her mother, Heather felt relieved she had asked Jack to watch over Lisa. Just before Heather leaves, Jack runs up and declares his true feelings. Thrilled, Heather admits she feels the same way. Three days after Heather goes to camp, Lisa reveals she loves Jack, knowing that her feelings are unrequited. She walks away from Jack, leaving him to believe he may have hurt her feelings. When Lisa disappears and Heather doesn’t answer his calls, Jack enlists the help of his friend Frank to fulfill his promise to Heather.

I liked the quick pace of the story. Each of the views of the characters were relatable to everyday feelings that young people have. The suspense kept me from putting the book down because I had to see what was happening to Heather, Lisa, and Jack. All supporting characters were well-defined in their behaviors and pulled the entire story together.

Despite my enjoyment of the overall story, I felt some parts were too unbelievable. For instance, how many eighth graders can own and operate a Ferrari? Another part that bothered me was the reaction Heather had towards a roommate who didn’t like her. While I understand her motivation to not lose out on her dreams, I wouldn’t think a rational person would react the same. I felt conflicted with the conclusion, as it appears rushed, but was also meant to be a cliffhanger. The last statement was a shock.

Considering several factors, as well as exceeding more than ten errors in the story, I am rating this thriller a 3 out of 4 stars. The errors were mainly typos that another round of editing would resolve. Since this is the first book in a series, the last statement in the conclusion was an excellent way to motivate a reader to continue reading. Since this is a fiction story, I really couldn’t take a star for the unrealistic situations I mentioned.

I recommend this book to high school-age readers and above. There is some profanity and mention of sexual abuse that, while not overly graphic, could be a trigger for sensitive readers. The ease of reading and the engaging dialogue kept my interest, and seeing the thoughts from three individual views was a unique approach to the story.

Change Her Fate: Volume 1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Love triangle between Heather, Lisa and Jack. Very confusing moment for the young man. Great book.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

This is a confusing love triangle but I hopefully understand it when I read the book. Nice review
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Despite my enjoyment of the overall story, I felt some parts were too unbelievable. For instance, how many eighth graders can own and operate a Ferrari? Another part that bothered me was the reaction Heather had towards a roommate who didn’t like her. While I understand her motivation to not lose out on her dreams, I wouldn’t think a rational person would react the same. I felt conflicted with the conclusion, as it appears rushed, but was also meant to be a cliffhanger. The last statement was a shock.
The Ferrari part is so outlandish it made me laugh. On the other hand, teenagers are not that rational...At least I know most of us were impulsive and often easily lead by fantasies or desires, so maybe that explains Heather's behavior. But you make good points to substantiate your rating, and overall, it seems like a novel that young readers could enjoy.
Great review!
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I agree with you on the Ferrari matter, well I like young adult love stories. I will sure enjoy this book. Thanks for your review.
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

This seems like an interesting book to me, and as I like fast paced novels, I think I'll enjoy this one as well. Thanks for the review.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I remember the drama of middle school crushes. Nothing seemed more important in the world at the time. I also remember liking my older sister's boyfriends as well. I hope Jack succeeds in finding Lisa and keeping his promise to Heather. Thank you for the terrific book review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”