Review of Rex, the Kid, the Whore, the Witch, and the Scientist

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Rex, the Kid, the Whore, the Witch, and the Scientist

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rex, the Kid, the Whore, the Witch, and the Scientist" by David Myles Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are looking for a book that will make your day, then David Myles Robinson is your ideal author! The ingenuity and informal writing are beyond spectacular! Please dismiss what the author states in this book’s description about it being unorthodox. Devour it, and you’ll have no regrets whatsoever. That said, I award Rex, the Kid, the Whore, the Witch, and the Scientist by David Myles Robinson 4 out of 4 stars. I will justify my rating in the paragraphs to come.

Rex is the narrator, and most happenings revolve around him. After losing his son to a Russian submarine crash with his yacht, his wife divorces him, and he is fired from his job. He goes to a small town named San Cristóbal in Mexico to clear his mind. Rex gets acquainted with a homeless beggar named Reynaldo, who, from the title, represents "the kid." Reynaldo’s mother is a sex worker (the whore). Sadly, she gets killed in her line of work. His aunt runs a laundry shop. People from the town regard her as a witch. Reynaldo’s father is a scientist working a top-secret job.

When Reynaldo’s parents die, his aunt wants nothing to do with him. Rex offers to temporarily live with the boy as he looks for any living relatives from his deceased father’s side. Meanwhile, an extremely wealthy client hires Rex to investigate a financial firm he invested in that could be a potential Ponzi scheme. What Rex uncovers involves more than just mere politics. Too often did I find my mouth agape!

Almost everything in the book is worth applauding. There was a lot of humor during conversations, especially with Reynaldo's involvement. Being a homeless boy with no formal education, Reynaldo continuously employed profanity, even when referring to his late mother.

I loved how Rex took the boy under his wings, albeit having known him for just a few weeks. It is funny how well the duo related like a father and son. Even when Rex found Reynaldo’s living relative, the latter did not want to leave. I could feel his disappointment when Rex conveyed the news to him.

Reading the book's title, I did not expect a tenth of the goodies it offered. I did not encounter any errors. Hence, the publication is professionally edited. Besides a few foreign dialects whose meanings were not detailed, I did not find anything else to dislike. I recommend the work to any reader interested in a book packed with discussions of Trump, Russians, parenting, compensation, poverty, and Ponzi schemes.

Rex, the Kid, the Whore, the Witch, and the Scientist
View: on Bookshelves
Stephanie Kanu
Currently Reading: A dream for peace
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywhyte3.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Stephanie Kanu »

What a gripping review. I love stories with a lot of good humor contained within. I'm definitely adding this book to my shelf.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

The book title would have scared me. You've done a great job outlining the ideas in this book. Great review.
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

I'm interested to see how Rex interacts with Reynaldo, especially after losing a son. Thanks for the review
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Poor Reynaldo. I really like how Rex was willing to be with him and to help find his relatives. Thanks for the review!
Itz Savaga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

Rex seem to have a lot going on in his life that doesn't seem so great. Maybe a comprehensive read will unveil more about him
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

The title of the book would have put me off but your review did an impressive job of convincing me otherwise. I can't wait to read about the line that joins politics and wholesome relationships.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

This is amazing. Robinson is very creative with the title, and with its subsequent characterization. Worth reading.
Mmaduabuchi Eze

Hogwarts03 wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 09:04 The title of the book would have put me off but your review did an impressive job of convincing me otherwise. I can't wait to read about the line that joins politics and wholesome relationships.
I too. A mere look at the title gives the impression that it is just one of those boring pieces out there.
Mmaduabuchi Eze

Elijah0007 wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 15:48 I'm interested to see how Rex interacts with Reynaldo, especially after losing a son. Thanks for the review
Yeah. The book has got us anxious to know how it all ended.
zekgeh
Currently Reading: Dark Matter Empire (Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zekgeh.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by zekgeh »

The title gave a wrong impression to me, however, the review portraits the book as an interesting one. I enjoyed reading your review.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html

Post by wmeki510 »

Robinson is very intentional and artistic in crafting the title of this literary piece. The characterization is also thrilling.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html

Post by wmeki510 »

Hogwarts03 wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 09:04 The title of the book would have put me off but your review did an impressive job of convincing me otherwise. I can't wait to read about the line that joins politics and wholesome relationships.
Yeah. This is a typical case of don't judge a book by its cover.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”