Review of The Edge of Ever After

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jodeci 007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodeci-007.html
Latest Review: Inspiring Moments by Crystal Holdipp

Review of The Edge of Ever After

Post by Jodeci 007 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Edge of Ever After" by Laura Lynn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Divided into six parts, Laura Lynn's The Edge of Ever After shines a light on complicated grief while exploring themes of hope and empathy. The story kicks off with a tragic loss, as Beth's happy life comes crashing down due to the loss of her husband, Jay, and Gracie, her nine-year-old daughter, in a car accident. She is unable to accept their deaths and is drowning in grief while she seeks to reconnect with them. In the same period, both Faye and Myrna, who are saved by Uncle Eddie from the rough streets of Florida, find their feet working as psychics in North Carolina, where they provide hope to people who need it. These characters' paths would cross when Beth desperately sought Myrna's help in the "Psychic Boutique" to see her late husband and daughter. How long can denial sustain the temporary peace and happiness that Beth has found? What is the impact of this denial on her mental health and the lives of herself, her son, and her friends?

The story calls to mind several losses that I have suffered over the years, which instantly made it relatable while I followed the characters, especially Beth. If you have ever suffered the loss of a loved one, you will be familiar with the guilt, anger, and devastation that comes with going through the stages of grief, and the author expertly captures all of these emotions in this story. The perspective was skillfully switched from the first person to the third person, with Beth narrating her parts of the tale, while other parts were told from the third-person point of view. I must applaud the author for properly executing this aspect of the book, as consistently switching perspectives can have unsettling effects on readers, but it was important that Beth fully immersed me in her emotions, and Laura Lynn duly delivered here.

Another highlight of the story was how the author raised a few thought-provoking questions about hope. Following Faye and Myrna's development was key in this area, as they went from being homeless to helping to grow a psychic business. Through this business, they gave hope to a lot of people who were lost, but I always wondered if that was enough to justify the fact that they faked their psychic powers or just employed calculated guessing. Is it acceptable to do the wrong things for the right reasons?

Furthermore, each character's journey ensures that readers will pick up a few key lessons. Besides the awareness of complicated grief and acceptance as the first step in healing, a personal favorite of mine was learning from Uncle Eddie, who went out of his way to take Faye and Myrna in and understood and looked after them, despite the fact that they were wanted by a dangerous man. His selflessness was admirable.

Laura Lynn's The Edge of Ever After is a professionally well-edited novel. Both of the minor errors I found while reading did nothing to affect my reading flow. I also cannot think of any aspect of this enlightening book I do not like. Therefore, the maximum rating of four out of four stars is well deserved. Mature readers who like emotional and character-driven stories will enjoy this read.

The Edge of Ever After
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I like the message of hope and inspiration projected in this piece. Great review.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

It’s never easy to deal with grief but I like that the book offered hope at the end
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

The loss of loved ones can really have devastating effects on our mental and physical health. However, we should not, like Beth, engage in denial of reality; for the temporal relief may leave us even more devastated.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

Buch1-Dm wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 20:53 It’s never easy to deal with grief but I like that the book offered hope at the end
Yes. Grief is one of the most difficult and tortuous human emotions.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

This book has explored one of the most complex human emotions. And it is a call to learning how to manage this.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”