Review of Asterisk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Review of Asterisk

Post by Helen Akoth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Asterisk" by Booth Milovnik.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Asterisk: A Wildcard Character is a gripping character-driven novel written by Booth Milovnik, and it follows and revolves around the life of Matt, who was conceived as a result of teen pregnancy. The time is the early ’80s. Cindy, Matt’s mother, is only fourteen years old when she realizes she is pregnant. Her parents, Jack Floyd and Doreen Floyd, are shocked and devastated to learn of the embarrassment that has befallen their almost perfectly-pious family. Little did they know that what they initially considered a bad omen would, indeed, turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Covering the better part of the 20th century and extending to the near future, this story revolves around Matt’s life, narrating how he impacted the lives of various characters in one way or another and giving accounts of the various people he interacted with, each from their own perspectives. I immensely enjoyed this well-written, relatable tale.

There were several things I liked about this novel. First, it was given the first-person narrative approach and told from various perspectives. Each chapter is narrated by a different character and from the character’s point of view. I liked this approach, as it enabled me to know how each of them felt about certain events. This approach also enables readers to make comparisons between similar accounts. There are also diverse characters with various personalities. While others are outstanding, others are relatably flawed, with various emotional and life challenges. The overriding theme of positivity is also another thing to be admired about this novel. Like Matt’s mother, who faced the challenges of teen pregnancies, we also have many characters who face challenges, such as low self-esteem, depression, heartbreaks, terminal illnesses, addictions, unconventional sexual orientations, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), among others. Readers will have a lot to learn from the characters’ quest for solutions, such as clinical therapies and rehabilitation. Another thing readers will appreciate are the various life lessons interlaced in the novel, which are inspiring and informative.

Furthermore, I liked that the author sufficiently gave the characters’ backstories. The ending was also satisfactorily done, answering most of the loose ends. However, it ended before I uncovered the fate of some characters, and considering how much I enjoyed this, I hope the author will work on a sequel.

What I liked the most about this book was that there was a sense of continuity between chapters. The accounts by the various characters (narrators) coincide in several instances, and I found an unparalleled level of consistency between similar events. Achieving this level of consistency requires an excellent memory, and I couldn’t help but marvel at the author’s memory. The level of consistency, coupled with the first-person narrative perspectives, made it read like a memoir or some real-life story, further enhancing my enjoyment of this exceptional novel.

Overall, there was nothing I disliked about this book. It was professionally edited since errors were hard to come by, and out of its 376 pages, I found only two minor punctuation mistakes. Therefore, I am pleased to rate it four out of four stars. No words or ratings can explain how exceptional I found this book and how much I enjoyed and learned from it.

I highly recommend Asterisk to readers who like gripping character-driven novels based on true-life stories. Fans of engaging novels that read like memoirs will also love it. There are several things to be learned from this book, such as teen pregnancies and the birthing process. Parents, future parents, and expecting young moms will be glad they picked this great piece. On the other hand, this book contains erotic sexual content, and cuss words were also used generously. For that reason, although young adults also have a lot to learn from it, I believe it is more suitable for mature audiences. I am glad I got the chance to read this novel, and I am looking forward to reading more books by the author, hopefully, a sequel to this.

Asterisk
View: on Bookshelves
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

The author's memory must indeed be amazing to keep up with the consistency. Great review.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

Life is a pack of challenges. In this book, some of them are discussed. Most striking to me is the teenage pregnancy. I hope those who found themselves in this condition be encouraged, and once again be courageous to start from wherever they stopped in their struggle to personal growth and development.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

I love memoirs and you delivered a superb review here. Well done
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Post by Soraya Bayah »

It is evident that you enjoyed the entire book. The concept and the themes it presents spark an interest in me, although I do not enjoy the presence of suggestive content. Nonetheless, I can definitely overlook this inconvenience and hopefully enjoy the book as much as you did. Thank you for an excellent review!
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

thuriya albayaa wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 14:21 It is evident that you enjoyed the entire book. The concept and the themes it presents spark an interest in me, although I do not enjoy the presence of suggestive content. Nonetheless, I can definitely overlook this inconvenience and hopefully enjoy the book as much as you did. Thank you for an excellent review!
I agree with you. This review makes the book mouth-watering.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

Raymond N wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 13:29 The author's memory must indeed be amazing to keep up with the consistency. Great review.
I agree with you; such a refined writer.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

An in-depth and engaging review. Worth reading.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

This sounds like an inspirational book focusing on the struggles of a young girl raising a child. Great review
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

After reading the sample, I can see how easy it is to get thoroughly engaged in these stories, all of which revolve around one central character. I liked the author's honesty in the introduction and the way in which he crafted this character driven novel, all revolving around one central character, Matt. I was a bit put off by the reference to him using marijuana and thinking it was no big deal and harmless. I do agree with the author that there are shades of gray, but some things are still non-negotiable.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I love character-driven stories, and the struggles you mention seem like something we've all experienced, even if it's not firsthand. This appears to be a poignant and relatable book.
Thank you!
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Despite being born because of teenage pregnancy, Matt sounds like he had a full life. I am sure others can learn from it. I enjoy fictional books that seem like they are true stories. It takes a lot of talent to accomplish that! Excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

Asterisk is a fictional book most people will love to read. I hope the lessons in this book will prevent a lot of trouble in families. Thanks for the review.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

There is something magical in fiction books that read like memoirs. I can even imagine how Matt's mother dealt with being a teen mom. Great review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

It appears that author Milovnik covers a lot of important ground in this novel and provides valuable educational information. Congrats to the author on the accomplishment and BOTD.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”