Review of Bengay & Blackberry Brandy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 1016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: The Dark and Lonely Road by Sean Gates

Review of Bengay & Blackberry Brandy

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bengay & Blackberry Brandy" by Kimberly J Coleman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Grief can affect us in unimaginable ways. It can alter our entire personality. More often than not, our loved ones become our solace when we are grief-stricken. Few of us are fortunate enough to have friends to help us put our life back together.

Kimberly J. Coleman portrays beautiful bonds of friendships in her novel, Bengay & Blackberry Brandy. Hadley and DeLaney have been attached at the hips since their first year in college. It is Hadley who helps Delaney slowly come out of her shell. Hadley grows up to be a writer while DeLaney pursues her dream to be a journalist. However, things take a drastic turn when DeLaney goes missing. DeLaney had cut her trip with Hadley short when she received a tip about a murder in her hometown. Since then, nobody had heard anything from her. Even though Hadley is worried, she is reluctant to call DeLaney’s uptight mother, Madeline.

Coleman intersperses Hadley and DeLaney's story with another story set in the past. Mickey Knight was in a band with his best friend Tank and his brothers. The band stayed in a campground owned by Stone near the Illinois and Iowa border. The campground housed all the band members and their families. The birth of Mickey and Linnie's twins brought joy to everyone in the camp. Soon, new opportunities cropped up for the fledgling band. However, one incident changed everything.

How is DeLaney connected with Mickey Knight and his band? What happened to DeLaney? Will Hadley be able to find DeLaney? Will their friendship stand the test of time and circumstances?

Kimberly J. Coleman weaves an engaging tale. I love the way she flashes between the past and the present without making it confusing even for once. I truly applaud her for this. This gives a new dimension to her novel. Even though she gives little hints about how both the stories are connected, we are still surprised when the truth is revealed. It is marvelous how everything clicks in place towards the end.

The book made me take a walk down a lane filled with nostalgia. It reminded me of my own college days. I imagine how fun it would have been if I had been old enough to be a college student during the 90s. The smooth references to various movies, sitcoms, and actors are delightful. I love the witty dialogues. The simple humor made me laugh out loud without even realizing it at times.

Hadley and DeLaney are friendship goals. Their love for movies and their penchant to talk about things only they understood reminded me how beautiful true friendship can be. Hadley was a friend indeed as she was a friend in need. The simple way she helped DeLaney to sort through some serious issues was commendable. Mickey Blue Eyes and his band mates were shining examples of friendship as well. All of them took care of each other. The banter among them and their wives was a treat to read.

Kimberly J. Coleman is an author who can make the most complicated things simple. Without divulging any spoilers, all I can say is the way she depicts the issue of mental health is praiseworthy. Coleman even makes us understand Madeline's perspective making us incapable of truly resenting her.

The only major drawback in the book is the number of errors. I found more than ten errors. These errors are very minor and can easily be overlooked due to the engaging storytelling. I believe one round of editing would easily fix these errors. Also, I have to mention the background story of Starr was a tad long-winded, especially as it did not add much to the main plot. I liked the detailed history. However, I believe some may find this sub-plot to be a bit redundant.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I must say this book is a must read for anyone who is fond of witty dialogues and unexpected twists. Fans of contemporary novels and tales of friendships will love this book.

Bengay & Blackberry Brandy
View: on Bookshelves
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I wonder if Delaney was found. I like to read stories of friendships.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

It is good to have friends like Hadley when things go wrong. DeLaney is lucky to have her. I wonder about the connection with the band.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

Hadley and DeLaney share a great bond of friendship. It'd interesting to read about them, especially to know DeLaney's whereabout.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

Raymond N wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 07:01 I wonder if Delaney was found. I like to read stories of friendships.
I too. It's really thrilling.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

Buch1-Dm wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:34 Hadley and DeLaney share a great bond of friendship. It'd interesting to read about them, especially to know DeLaney's whereabout.
It would be interesting, surely.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

A great review. Keep it up.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

Amy Luman wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 12:36 It is good to have friends like Hadley when things go wrong. DeLaney is lucky to have her. I wonder about the connection with the band.
Rightly said.
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

This books seems interesting and I would love to read it.. Having good friends is one thing but also loosing them is another, I would love to know what happened Delaney and her friends. Great review, thanks.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

This is such an interesting read. May this book show the clear danger that journalists live in every day just to give us the truth about the matter.

Thank you so much for your review!
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”