Review of Buried Treasure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 757
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Review of Buried Treasure

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Buried Treasure" by Regina Mouradian.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jake seldom went home to Fairhaven, Massachusetts, after moving away to Las Vegas ten years ago to become an EMT. The only thing his father enjoyed talking about on the phone for the past year was Rosa, his favorite nursing assistant. Jake returns home for his father's funeral and decides to attend his high school reunion with his best friends, Chris and Frank. At the reunion, a former classmate, Dwayne, who has become the Mayor of Fairhaven, remarks on his father dying and freeing up money for the town budget. Infuriated, he becomes suspicious about his father's death. Telling his story to his friend, Frank, they become suspicious about Frank's aunt and her husband's death in a car accident. Was Mayor Dwayne corrupt and responsible for these deaths that increased the town's budget? Was Jake causing trouble for the residents of Fairhaven out of grief for his father? Read Buried Treasure by Regina Mouradian to find out.

Regina Mouradian's development of the characters made them feel like down-to-earth people I would know. I could sense their emotions of love, anger, hate, and grief. Her descriptions of the ocean, the waves, beaches, and wildlife were all realistic. I enjoyed reading the poem entitled "My Symphony." This book is full of mystery, and it kept me turning the pages. Although I felt like I knew the answer to the deaths, the ending had a twist I did not expect. I enjoyed the romance and mystery intertwined with the crime thriller aspects. The history of Massachusetts was fascinating to read. I learned that New Bedford was known as "The Portuguese Capital of the United States."

The biggest flaw in this book is the editing. Many spelling errors distract from the book's flow. Many of these mistakes involved wrong punctuation at the end of the dialogues.

I have no choice but to give this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the lack of professional editing. Although the errors impacted the book's flow, I enjoyed the book. Therefore, there was no justification for rating the book lower. Once this book has been professionally edited, it would be deserving of the maximum number of stars.

Readers of crime thrillers, romance, and mystery novels will enjoy this book. If you are interested in the history of Massachusetts, then this book is for you. The book's non-borderline profanity content makes it more suitable for non-sensitive readers over 18 years of age.

Buried Treasure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

This book really sounds interesting to read. Would love to know what happened with Jake and Dwayne at the end of the book. Great review, thanks.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Aside from the editing, this looks like a great read. I enjoyed reading your review.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

The premise of this story sounds pretty good! You've got me wondering how these two deaths could have benefited the town's budget.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I feel pain for Jake’s loss of his father. One death that has monetary benefits in a town the size of Fairhaven would not have been cause for concern, but for the mayor’s remarks. Two becomes suspicious.
Benedicta1970
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benedicta1970.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Benedicta1970 »

The book sounds very interesting, and I look forward to reading this book.Great review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”