Review of Sing Ho! Stout Cortez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Review of Sing Ho! Stout Cortez

Post by Josephe-Anne »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sing Ho! Stout Cortez" by Michael W. Thomas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The mundane aspects of life become extraordinary and bygone eras are revisited in this collection of novellas and short stories. In Sing Ho! Stout Cortez: Novellas and Stories by Michael W. Thomas, readers can take a trip to the Spice Island of Grenada or meander the streets of suburban Britain. Either way, they’ll be entertained by these surreal stories. From a young man reminiscing about his schooldays to a middle-aged woman finally freeing herself from a traumatic experience that she repressed for decades, these tales are realistic and relatable. They seem like they could describe people you know in your own neighborhood, and that is what makes this collection so powerful.

The cover design is simple, but it perfectly reflects the content within. It features the image of a conquistador with a map of Grenada in the background. The illustration is set on a blue frame with white lettering. The themes of this collection include nostalgia, surrealism, music, Caribbean culture, British culture, sexual abuse, and resilience in the face of adversity. The two novellas were written from the first-person perspective, whereas the short stories were told from the third-person point of view. Colorful and unusual language was used throughout the book. Rape and other forms of violence were alluded to, but these situations were not discussed in explicit detail. Profanity was used several times in the text, but it was not excessive. The editing was excellent as I did not find any errors.

The book was named after one of the short stories in which a bold dreamer performed a one-man play at a New Year’s Eve party, and I must say that he, and so many of the other characters, were delightfully original. “The Maker’s Mark” was my favorite story in this collection, and the teenaged protagonist, Ian Wilkerson, was my favorite character because he reminded me of my younger self. Ian had the unusual habit of analyzing how people entered their vehicles. “Tickle, Tickle” was my second favorite piece because, even though it was upsetting, I liked the realism and the fact that the main character was able to come to terms with her horrific past in a truly empowering way. I also liked the inclusion of Grenadian vernacular in the novella called “Esp: The Voice of Grenada.” Helpful footnotes provided the definition of these words. It would be interesting to hear an audiobook version of this story read by someone with a Grenadian accent.

There wasn’t much to dislike about this book. Apart from the author’s sometimes baffling but unique writing style, my only complaint is with the short story entitled “Mister Sixth.” This story described a man who attended a class reunion, but the underlying message in the tale was unclear to me. This seemed inconsistent with the other stories.

Nevertheless, Sing Ho! Stout Cortez: Novellas and Stories by Michael W. Thomas has earned a rating of four out of four stars. Most of the stories in this compilation had a dreamlike quality about them. Even though the stories wandered in strange, divergent directions at first, they were brilliantly written in such a way that everything made sense in the end. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy short stories with a twist and those who appreciate historical fiction.

Sing Ho! Stout Cortez
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I think I'd enjoy reading this book. Great review.
Ikechukwu+12345
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-12345.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Ikechukwu+12345 »

Thanks for a detailed review. I look forward to reading this book. Weldone.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

I'm particularly interested in the story of the middle aged woman who finally found the courage to free herself from a traumatizing experience she has repressed for a long time. This is a beautiful review. Well done.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I find it interesting that the author can switch form first to third person with such ease. As I see it, this is a credit to his talent.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I love that this book was so well-written. The gravitas that the author possesses is astounding. I loved the review!
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I like short stories too. Usually every story has some kind of message, leads the reader along a certain path.
Seems an interesting book to me.
Abu_Aisha1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

The themes of nostalgia, surrealism, music, Caribbean culture, British culture, sexual abuse, and resilience in the face of adversity sounds too interesting to be ignored. I enjoyed reading your review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I like short prose with a twist in the end, so I would enjoy this collection, I believe :) Caribbean motives and a profound historical background would add to the enjoyment. Thanks for a great review!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Novellas and short stories are a quite amazing part in literature. I would love to try this one. Thank you for the detailed review.
Dami Bassam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dami Bassam »

The woman play a big role in this story ,she suffer a traumatic experience in delicate period but with the time , all is perfect.We can hear an audiobook version, "the voice of Grenada". " The life change by the developping technologie and we hope that go in the good sens, not the bad. "
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by julietmumbua23 »

What a wonderful anthology. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”