Review of Trees and Other Witnesses

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Trees and Other Witnesses

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trees and Other Witnesses" by Kathy Taylor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We have a book about trees and how each is significant to the characters in every story. One tale is about a girl named Claudia. Her family left El Salvador for America to look for what they termed “a temporary haven.” Claudia finds a sanctuary in a tree where she goes for shade and some alone time. The tree has a heart carving with writings: “C + J.” The girl imagines what those words could represent and who did it. Claudia wonders whether it could be a romantic venture between two people.

In another story, Miguel, Beto, and other people are traversing a desert to the United States to seek greener pastures. The anecdote details the challenges they withstand: trekking the long and arduous paths under the scorching sun, shortage of water and food, etc. Also, they think of how their families back home are left worried for their wellbeing. Amid nowhere, they find a mesquite tree with water beneath it. The conclusion of the tale is tragic, nonetheless.

One thing that stood out was the uniqueness of each story and its characters. The characters’ names employed are unique, and each tale has its meaning and storyline. I enjoyed that the author inserted a picture of a tree at the beginning of every story. Albeit being monochrome pictorials, I admired them, as each is different from the other.

I loved how Kathy used terms with inner meanings, and it was up to the reader to make sense of them. In one story, talking of Xochitl’s pregnancy was not straightforward. The author says, “Xochitl began to feel life growing inside her again.”

There is a lot of Spanish that I could hardly read, let alone understand. I appreciate Kathy’s use of foreign dialects to promote language diversity. Nevertheless, the consistent use of Spanish gave me a hard time understanding segments of the book. It was hard to comprehend. Plus, repetitively looking for interpretations on Google became monotonous. I did not enjoy that. Inevitably, I rate the work 3 out of 4 stars.

Tree and Other Witnesses is professionally edited, as I detected no grammatical flaws. Kathy Taylor’s proficiency in literature is showcased by how the various stories in the book grip a reader. The choice of lexis and sentence phrasing demand thumbs up! I recommend it to people who’d love to devour a volume with random stories packed with difficulties, racism, struggling to belong, and foreign dialects.

Trees and Other Witnesses
View: on Bookshelves
Okoye Chinonso+
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

Firstly I've got to say, this is an amazing review, focused on the captivating stories in the book (for such I now want to read the book myself). A top-notch review.
Last edited by Okoye Chinonso+ on 05 May 2022, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Okoye Chinonso+
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

Then again, the book: Trees are the part of us; have survived long before us (humans), at least those that weren't chopped down by us. Has witnessed our greatest and our weakest (I think I should also write about a tree... :eusa-think: ).
I love how upon having different stories in the book, there are no complaints on any having an unfinished or rushed up storyline.
A great book and a lovely review...nice
Thanks for the review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Akinola John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinola-john.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Akinola John »

The book seems interesting. I love the way the author makes each story unique. Nice review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I never thought about it, but trees do have an part I almost every story that we read, don’t they? I also enjoy hearing about the picture of trees before each story. I don’t normally read short stories because I don’t feel like they are long enough to really involve the reader, but perhaps I should make an exception.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Good review! I love short stories and would probably enjoy this book. I would be okay with the Spanish. Foreign language in a story can be trying, but it adds dimension and understanding to what is said if used well.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

The book looks great. However, the presence of Spanish dialect would deter me from reading it. Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

Tree's sometimes hold memories and have a sentimental value in our lives. This review is descriptive,illustrative and that excites me. Thanks for the review.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

Tree's sometimes hold memories and have a sentimental value in our lives. This review is descriptive,illustrative and that excites me. I also want to understand the link created between the trees and human emotions.Thanks for the review.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

From the title i assumed that this was tale of a murder in the woods. Luckily the truth is a lot less gruesome. thank you for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”