Review of Moon of Change

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of Moon of Change

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Moon of Change" by Laureen Giulian.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Moon of Change by Laureen Giulian, Kiera Clark moved back to Turtle Island after she had obtained her arts degree. She bought a cottage close to her grandmother's place. Her grandmother, Mavis Deerfoot, was a peculiar woman whom Kiera had always thought to have a sixth sense. On the night of the 'Buck Moon,' Kiera followed a deer trail to a hot spring in the woods. There, she experienced a 'Vision Quest,' which she had imagined was only for men. The experience opened her up to more profound and stranger things. On another part of the island, a farm owner, Joshua Marshall, was having 'otherworldly' encounters with his trusted mustang, 'Nightsong,' by his side. The string of the happenings that unfolded in Joshua's life entwined three lives for a purpose that must be figured out by all three together, even as they faced an imminent threat.

If you have ever wondered what it felt like to be dropped in the middle of ancient mythology, the beginning pages of Moon of Change will deliver this experience. The book started on a solid note and weaved a strong web of suspense and anticipation. The tone of the storytelling was filled with intrigue. The author was very descriptive and detailed with her narration, and it would be easy for readers to conjure a mental picture of scenes in the book. The book would further appeal to the reader's sense of sight and hearing, as the story was punctuated with songs, giving it a poetic vibe.

The book had a strong spiritual message. For one, it seemed to have highlighted one of the significant divides and causes of conflicts between the many religions of the world. This divide could be found in a lack of understanding that we all serve the same God, irrespective of nomenclature. Some refer to this creator as Jesus, the Christ; others use the title, Great Creator, while some, like the Blackfoot tribe, use the title Apissstotoke. Still, these are all the same. Kiera's grandmother was used as a symbol to show this sameness of religion.

The book personified 'Mother Earth,' and her voiced lamentations were reminiscent of nature's call for humanity to take better care of nature's gifts. This particular theme was significant in light of the ever-increasing need to protect the environment and nature from the debilitating effects of human activities. The plot of this book was authentic, and the creative way the author adopted to convey an essential message was refreshing. In terms of characterization, the significant characters in this book had a simplicity that made them relatable.

The story seemed to have dragged on a bit toward the middle. The plot became almost a cycle of similar scenes. Readers might get a little impatient to get to the main gist of the story. The author failed to create an exciting and worthy conflict. What the book created as the conflict was rather feeble and easily concluded. However, the story was still a good read overall. It was different, and the plot was authentic. I'd recommend this book to readers who enjoy mythologies and stories about the supernatural. The editing was okay. Regardless of the minor concern, I’d rate Moon of Change four out of four stars.

Moon of Change
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t know what to make of this book. I like the idea of the three people working together to solve a problem, but I am confused by Kiera’s feelings about her grandmother and her world.
Hari Shan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hari Shan »

. I like the idea of ​​three people solving a problem together. But I was confused by Kiera's grandmother and her feelings about the world.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”