Review of A Champion for Tinker Creek

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of A Champion for Tinker Creek

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Champion for Tinker Creek" by D.C. Robeline.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There was not a better title for this novel than A Champion for Tinker Creek because that was what it was literally about. It was the classic fight against injustice and discrimination while dabbling in a bit of romance to spice it up. When Lyle James received a letter with a 90-day ultimatum that put his livelihood at risk, just after he took over his dad's auto repair shop, he had to do something about it. He found an unlikely ally in a one-night stand that blossomed into something more. Together with his fellow victims, they tried to fight back the wave of change. What resistance would they meet? How far would he go to save his business and those in his neighborhood?

Although I'm not a big fan of LGBTQ-based novels, which seem to be the author's current niche, I appreciate a good story when I see one. It's my first novel of such, and even if the romantic relationship is heterosexual, the message will still be the same. The plot is realistic and uses real-life occurrences.

For a mundane setting, the plot suspense is appropriate with the right amount of danger to make it exciting. The story flow is good. After quickly establishing the characters' personas, it gets you straight to the action. There are some humorous moments in it to lighten tense situations of survival.

The story narration involved two significant viewpoints, with a necessary third viewpoint towards the end. The narrative alternates between Lyle and Manny's points of view, as they are the story's main protagonists. They are usually close to each other because they interact a lot. The particular viewpoint at a given scene gives the reader a better perspective and understanding of the protagonists. This adds to character depth.

The author, being a former journalist, projected himself through Manny, who was also a reporter in the novel. This gave credibility to the journalistic procedures followed in the plot. The romance was a major highlight of the novel. Lyle and James had good chemistry. Sexual innuendos, descriptions (though not explicit), and profanity were present as expected.

I liked D. C. Robeline's writing style. He kept it simple and exciting. I bet he enjoyed writing this novel as much as I enjoyed reading it. I might also consider reading his other works; hopefully, they'd be as good as this one. The editing was exceptional, with no error found. I would rate A Champion for Tinker Creek 4 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend it to lovers of modern-day books with LGBTQ+ romance.

A Champion for Tinker Creek
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

Injustice and discrimination, plus romance. i think it sounds good and captivating.i will love to give it my time.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I enjoyed your thorough review, especially about the author's writing style and, interestingly, the author and the character Manny were journalists. Lyle's struggles and how he overcomes them make a good storyline.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I don't even know what LGBTQ means. I have heard about it a lot of times but I don't really know what it means. I would love to find out from this book.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Having read A Pilgrim at Tinker's Creek, a non-fiction nature book by Annie Dillard, the title of this book caught my eye. Obviously, there is no connection between the two books, but I enjoyed your review.
Luchris Curtis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-curtis.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by Luchris Curtis »

Standing against injustice and discrimination requires strength and perseverance. Lyle has a lot on his hands to accomplish. I'd love to know how the story ended. Did he succeed? Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”