Review of Thirteen Heavens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: Room Without Walls: A Transformational Journey by Ruth Ferguson

Review of Thirteen Heavens

Post by Isaac Oh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Thirteen Heavens" by Mark Fishman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The pain of losing a child is excruciating, but it is worse when you are left helpless and cannot do anything to defend the child. Thirteen Heavens by Mark Fishman is about a man who goes above and beyond to save his abducted son.

Ernesto's son, Coyuco, along with forty-three other students, were protesting against the police. It was all going fine until things got out of hand and the police opened fire on the students. About four students were killed in the process, while the rest were arrested and taken to an undisclosed location. On hearing what had happened, Ernesto embarked on a journey to Iguala in search of his son. Will he find Coyuco? On the other hand, Ernesto’s friend, Ruben, alias Rocket, was living in fanaticism with a ghost, and this almost cost him his life. Read this book to find out more about this story.

Some parts of this book were written in Spanish, and I love that this author took his time to translate them, thereby creating a larger audience of people who can enjoy this book. This book contains themes like love, family, and police brutality. I appreciate the effort Ernesto put into searching for his son. This book touched on police brutality, which is a societal problem. This book would also teach its readers that protests and rallies should be held without violence or physical harm.

I came across too many errors in this book, which made it hard to read. Firstly, there were punctuation errors, a lot of them. There were no period signs in the paragraphs, and this made it hard for me to know when a sentence was finished. The sentences were not flowing, and there were a lot of diversions from the main subject. These diversions occurred repeatedly, and it was always difficult to catch up with what the author was saying. This book lacked chapters. There were no separations. It was just paragraph after paragraph, making it hard for me to follow from where I stopped after taking a break. The character development was terrible. Characters just popped out of nowhere. Finally, it was hard to tell who was speaking during conversations because of the lack of quotations.

Unfortunately, I will be rating this book 2 out of 4 stars because of how hard it was to read this book. I would have given this book a lower rating if the author didn't have a nice idea and a great storyline. I think there are still too many gaps to be filled. There were a lot of errors in this book, and I doubt if it was professionally edited. This book contains profane words and should be kept out of children’s reach. This book was bad and I would barely recommend it to anyone. However, people who love to read about police brutality would manage to enjoy it.

Thirteen Heavens
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Luchris Curtis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-curtis.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by Luchris Curtis »

This book revolves around the life of Ernesto's son. During a protest where the police opened fire, Ernesto's son might be among the ones that were killed. I'd love to know how the story ended. Thanks for your honest review.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Unsung Hero by Margaret Best

Post by Vivian Writes »

It must be terrifying to basically be abducted by the police, the very system charged to keep you safe. Will Ernesto be able to save Coyuco? But unfortunately, there are issues and editing problems that the author has to revisit.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

Ernesto sounds to be a very compelling character. I must read this book.
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”