Review of VIKING Flame and the Sword

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Review of VIKING Flame and the Sword

Post by Darlings O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "VIKING Flame and the Sword" by Warren Nieblas MacKenzie.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

VIKING Flame and the Sword by Warren Nieblas MacKenzie is the intriguing story of Captain Larsnotsen that once again highlights the fact that God can choose anyone to do his work, just like Saul in the Bible. Set in the 15th century, the book tells the story of Larsnotsen, also known as Lars, a sailor who decides to sail to places no one else has been to. His godly daughter manages to convince him to allow her to join the sail. On the way, Larsnotsen is led to Christ through the efforts of Julianne, his daughter, and many Christians they met on the way, especially the Celtics.

There were so many betrayals, deaths and obstacles on the way, but through trust in God, prayer, belief and faith, Larsnotsen and his crew stand strong and prove that one with God is a majority, no matter how rough it seems.

Amongst many other lessons, we learn that God can choose anybody to work for him, just like he chose Lars, a Viking warrior, and turned him into an instrument of peace. In the same way, he chose all kinds of people as his apostles. Some of the people that Lars and his crew converted were even rogues.

There are so many positive aspects to this work, and it was written without many errors. The scenes were beautifully described, and it made everything so realistic. Some shipwreck scenes even made me feel like I was sinking in the middle of the sea. This is very important in fiction, where the writer grabs the reader like an eagle and takes him to a whole new world. The book has so many dominant themes, which include divine intervention, trusting God, prayer, and many others.

The relationship between Finnis, the wicked former husband of Julianne, and the family even presents us with the theme of loving our enemies and leaving them in God's hands. The relationship between Hal and Lars even highlights the importance of friendship. Openness is another theme we can see in this book because if Lars or any of the new converts weren't open-minded, they wouldn't have accepted Christ. Another theme I would personally wish to point out is "peaceful conflict resolution", which I think was brought to light by Sir Mark, who believed that the church wronged him. Still, instead of looking for peaceful ways to end the conflict, he turns himself into a totally wicked rogue and begins to terrorize people. Another positive aspect of this book was the fact that it was written in simple and comprehensive English, which will enable readers to read without interruptions to look up words.

The book had no negative aspects at all apart from a few errors. Therefore, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars because I consider it a literary masterpiece. The Viking story is retold like never before. I recommend this book to lovers of literature, God and his people.

VIKING Flame and the Sword
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”