Review of Running at Hialeah

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Running at Hialeah

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Running at Hialeah" by Donald Marinelli.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The hurtful events of his childhood haunted Bernie Buccellato, the first child of an unhappy marriage that produced three children. At 52 years old, the unending fights between his parents during his childhood and the circumstances of their death kept him in a mental state that therapists couldn’t seem to heal. After a near-death experience that gave him a lifetime fortune, he returned to his childhood hometown of Hialeah, a town in South Florida. His first step toward resolving his grievances was repurchasing his grandmother’s home, where he and his family resided. He entered a real estate agency office and met Miss Yolanda Ruiz, a divorcee. She was determined to work and be successful despite her ex-husband’s moral stand regarding each gender’s societal role. This meeting was entirely divine, owing to Yolanda’s role in helping Bernie buy back the house and their beneficial friendship.

After successfully buying the house, Bernie decided to grant his father’s last wish: to recreate his childhood memories and perhaps find answers to the questions bothering him. His father’s dying wish was that he wanted him to spread the ashes of his dead body at the finishing line of Hialeah Racetrack, where he retired and spent most of his money. Although he didn’t get along well with his father while alive, Bernie felt compelled to grant his father’s wish honourably. Hialeah Racetrack wouldn’t allow the ashes of dead bodies on their track for fear of their horses being hurt and is about to shut down due to financial management. Bernie’s healing and total freedom from every demon tying him to his past are in fulfilling his father’s wish. Will Bernie be free or not? The answer to this question is found in this book titled Running at Hialeah by Donald Marinelli.

I enjoyed reading the book and flowed well with the story. The characters were well developed, and the story’s plot was well conceptualised. Reading through the book, I can feel Bernie’s pain and his struggle for inner peace. Bernie’s story revealed how parents’ actions affect the emotional well-being of their children without them knowing. Ruiz’s childhood experience was different from Bernie’s experience; this difference was evident in how they reasoned and related with others.

The author didn’t rush the story. The story moved at an exciting pace, telling all that needed to be told without boring the readers. I liked how the relationship between Bernie, Yolanda, his neighbours, and colleagues at work grew into a strong bond, helping him on his journey to find peace and healing. More importantly, I enjoyed how the story concluded.

There is nothing I disliked about the story. The author did well in writing this story. The story was easy to relate to; though I haven’t been to a racetrack before, I got the picture from the author’s description. Where languages different from English were used, the author interpreted them with a few exceptions, but this didn’t stop me from enjoying the book.

The book was professionally edited and contained profane words that aligned with the book’s plot. I find this book an exciting read and rate it 4 out of 4 stars because it is well deserving of it.

I recommend this book to adults, parents, counsellors, people suffering from unpleasant childhood experiences, and readers of fiction books.

Running at Hialeah
View: on Bookshelves
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

I really hope Bernie is able to fulfil his father wishes and be completely free again. Great review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Bernie has really had a disappointing start to his life. I want him to be able to spread the ashes and be rid of his past, but I can understand the concerns of the racetrack owners.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

Bernie has a painful past. Some scars don't heal with time until we face that scar. This is an interesting story that will take readers on a roller coaster of emotions. Great job!
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

I hope he found healing and peace and eventually fulfilling his father's wish. A wonderful review you have here. Well done.
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

She was determined to work and be successful despite her ex-husband’s moral stand regarding each gender’s societal role. What an engaging plotline here. Great review.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Why have his ashes spread at the Hialeah race track? Perhaps Bernie's father was an athlete or perhaps he just loved watching races? I am sure in his quest to fulfil his father's dying wish, Bernie will finally find healing. We will have to read the book to find out. Nice review :)
Chris Walter Mason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-walter-mason.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chris Walter Mason »

Bernie had a tough past but the ability to wave it and move on to a better future will be nice. I love you. Keep it up.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

This book sounds interesting and captivating. I think I will give this book a try. What a wonderful review. Great job
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

This is a good book to read with an exciting plot. I like that the story is not slow or too fast. I also cherish the relationship between Bernie and her colleagues.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by lawisimportant23 »

Childhood trauma is something almost all of us have struggled with. Great review.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: Awesomely Awkward Dating Tips for Beginners by Tina Kowalski

Post by Hager Salem »

I always appreciate it when people address the effect the parents can have on their children's life.
Okoye Chinonso+
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

From just the first two sentences of this review, I can already tell how tough Bernie Buccellato had it. I hope he would be able to find closure. Thanks and great job on the review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Duwire Banda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duwire-banda.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Duwire Banda »

The story of Bernie is something I could identify with. This is a good book. Great review.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

Despite her ex-moral husband's stance on the social roles that each gender plays, she was committed to working hard and succeeding. What a compelling plot this is. fantastic review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”