Review of The War Within

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of The War Within

Post by Walter R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The War Within" by Brad Neyens.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The War Within is a fictional book by Brad Neyens that explores the life of Brad, a young man who is aspiring to fill his father's shoes as one of the best car racers ever to grace the streets. When a tragedy hits, a newly orphaned Brad is devastated, and he realizes that he needs people to rely on in his life. When Brad discovers the true reason behind his pain was because of a grudge against his father, he is determined to get revenge with help from his companions despite several warnings from loved ones. What will occur when Brad uncovers a little more than he bargained? Will he finally be satisfied after he discovers what caused his loss? Find out in this intriguing piece.

There are positive aspects to be found in this book. I did not find any errors while reading this book. This is sufficient proof that the book was professionally edited. The specific vocabulary and terms used are solid proof of research and expertise. They guarantee a reader some knowledge of car racing and repairs. The book’s short length and light atmosphere ensure that it can be read in a single sitting. There is also an emphasis on the importance of mental health and the means used to foster it among individuals.

There were a lot of elaborate themes in this book, but the most significant for me would be the importance of a healthy parent-child relationship. The relationship between Brad and his father is very admirable, and it symbolizes a value that more people should strive to achieve because of its positive effects. The book wastes no time building suspense but immediately dives into the plot. There is little to no character development, and though this may have been intended by the author, it also means that the book can only satisfy readers who do not require well-rounded characters in whatever they read.

I also discovered a negative aspect while reading this book. The sentences were poorly constructed, the expressions and descriptions as well as event narrations were also poorly written. Particularly in Chapters seventeen and eighteen, the poorly constructed sentences disrupted my reading experience and almost discouraged me from going further. There are also mentions of violence and suicide which may be triggering for some readers.

As a result of the reasons listed above, I rate this book three out of four stars. I would have loved to give a higher rating but the errors were too significant to ignore. I recommend this book to lovers of action thrillers and anyone interested in fast-paced novels.

The War Within
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I recently read a sci-if book about car racing. That ended up being a very small portion of the overall story, and for that I was grateful. I’’m glad that this one seems to focus on the relationship that Brad and his father enjoyed.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

The storyline is interesting. However due to the negative aspects mentioned here, I am not sure if I want to read this book. Will the book be enjoyable if it is poorly written and the sentences poorly constructed? Perhaps another round of editing will make it better.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”