Review of It Didn't Used To Feel This Way

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of It Didn't Used To Feel This Way

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It Didn't Used To Feel This Way" by N.A Cameli.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Drug addiction remains a problem in modern times. College students are using pills to concentrate on their studies. University professors are dealing drugs as a side hustle, and rehabs are full of seemingly recovering addicts. Teens and young adults are the age groups that seem to be dealing drugs the most. Mental health problems are dragging our young adults slowly to the grave. It Didn't Used To Feel This Way by N.A Cameli discusses suicide, drug addiction, murder, and mental illness.

Theo, a 22-year-old lady, is in love with her 24-year-old boyfriend, JD. She even thinks they are soul mates. The duo smokes and uses cocaine. Drastically, things change when JD goes missing, and Theo is dragged to the courtroom over his disappearance. Even worse, she can't recollect anything about her last encounter with her boyfriend. She misses him and inwardly swears to do all it takes to find him.

In a twist of events, the judge presiding over Theo's attempted charge sends her to a mental facility. Could it be the case? Was she responsible for her boyfriend's disappearance? Things become more interesting when Theo encounters her biological father, Frank, in the same psychiatric hospital. Frank is in the facility for the murder of his wife, Theo's mother. Theo begins questioning her actions and whether she could have anything to do with JD's disappearance. Things become heated up and more exhilarating!

I enjoyed the introductory chapters. Details begin with the present activities and slowly flash back to the historical happenings. For instance, JD is missing. However, as the book proceeds, we learn how he and Theo met and became romantically involved. Further, readers are left in suspense as to what happened to cause JD's disappearance.

Some details were gruesome. Details about how Frank killed his wife were nauseating. Theo was a young girl when the massacre happened in front of her. As she recounted the details to her psychiatrist, I could not help but develop goosebumps all over my body.

I observed unnecessary details that purely made the book longer. Some characters, like Wyatt's roommate, were nonessential. Plus, repetitions about past incidents became monotonous. I didn't enjoy that. Even so, the work was insightful and helpful about mental health challenges and the need to talk to someone when suicidal thoughts creep into one's mind.

The errors were very few. As such, we have a professionally edited book. I award it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone struggling with drug addiction or suicidal thoughts.

It Didn't Used To Feel This Way
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m very intrigued by the premise of this book. I was always aware that the use of illegal drugs led to unintended consequences, but I never imagined this! I can feel Theo’s distress as she tries to figure things out.
Lisa Park17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-park17.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Lisa Park17 »

I'm captivated by the characters and storyline. The use of illegal and hard drugs always has dire consequences. I hope the characters find respite. Well done.
Delany Brown
Favorite Book: It Didn't Used To Feel This Way
Currently Reading: Blue Collar Cash
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Delany Brown »

Drug addiction is a problem during these modern times. High school and collage students are using drugs/pills to concentrate on work an also to relief them of stress. These students are sourcing these drugs and pills from professors who are selling drugs as a side job. Young adults and teens are the ones using drugs the most an this isn't good mainly because of the influence this can have on younger children. Mental health is one of the problems that young adults have in these modern times. This book is mainly based on drug use, drug addiction, mental illness, discusses suicide and murder.

Theo is a 22-year-old lady, who's in love with a 24-year-old who goes by the name of JD, her boyfriend. According to the book and I quote se says they are soulmates .this is because they both have an addiction of smoking and using cocaine thing takes a shift when suddenly JD goes missing , Theo was brought to a courtroom because of his disappearance. Things got even worse when she was asked about there last encounter with him. She continues to worry about him and swears to do anything in her powers to find him.

A twist of events occurs when she's in court an the judge presiding over Theo's attempted charge sends her to a mental facility. The question was if this was a case? Could she have been involved in her boyfriends disappearance ? In a twist of events Theo encounters her biological father, Frank, in the same psychiatric hospital. Frank is in the facility for the murder of his wife, Theo's mother. Theo begins questioning her actions and whether she could have anything to do with JD's disappearance. Things became even more heated stressful. The introductory chapters were amazing I really enjoyed it.

As the book proceeds, we learn how he and Theo met and became romantically involved. As the book proceeds readers are left in suspense as to what happened to cause JD's disappearance. Some details were mentioned as of how Theo's mother was killed by her father Frank, she was only a young girl when it all happened. She recounted the details to her psychiatrist. The book involved some unnecessary details that made it longer .The work was insightful and helpful about mental health challenges and the need to talk to someone when suicidal thoughts creep into one's mind.

I observed that the errors were very few. As such, the book was professionally edited. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone especially people who are struggling with drug addiction or suicidal thoughts.
Delany Brown
Favorite Book: It Didn't Used To Feel This Way
Currently Reading: Blue Collar Cash
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Delany Brown »

Drug addiction is a problem during these modern times. High school and collage students are using drugs/pills to concentrate on work an also to relief them of stress. These students are sourcing these drugs and pills from professors who are selling drugs as a side job. Young adults and teens are the ones using drugs the most an this isn't good mainly because of the influence this can have on younger children. Mental health is one of the problems that young adults have in these modern times. This book is mainly based on drug use, drug addiction, mental illness, discusses suicide and murder.

Theo is a 22-year-old lady, who's in love with a 24-year-old who goes by the name of JD, her boyfriend. According to the book and I quote se says they are soulmates .this is because they both have an addiction of smoking and using cocaine thing takes a shift when suddenly JD goes missing , Theo was brought to a courtroom because of his disappearance. Things got even worse when she was asked about there last encounter with him. She continues to worry about him and swears to do anything in her powers to find him.

A twist of events occurs when she's in court an the judge presiding over Theo's attempted charge sends her to a mental facility. The question was if this was a case? Could she have been involved in her boyfriends disappearance ? In a twist of events Theo encounters her biological father, Frank, in the same psychiatric hospital. Frank is in the facility for the murder of his wife, Theo's mother. Theo begins questioning her actions and whether she could have anything to do with JD's disappearance. Things became even more heated stressful. The introductory chapters were amazing I really enjoyed it.

As the book proceeds, we learn how he and Theo met and became romantically involved. As the book proceeds readers are left in suspense as to what happened to cause JD's disappearance. Some details were mentioned as of how Theo's mother was killed by her father Frank, she was only a young girl when it all happened. She recounted the details to her psychiatrist. The book involved some unnecessary details that made it longer .The work was insightful and helpful about mental health challenges and the need to talk to someone when suicidal thoughts creep into one's mind.

I observed that the errors were very few. As such, the book was professionally edited. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone especially people who are struggling with drug addiction or suicidal thoughts.
Michaeleedsy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeleedsy.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Michaeleedsy »

Drug abuse, mental facility, and family drama. This book, from the review, seems to be interesting, and I'd love to read it. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”