Review of The Secret Prayer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 758
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Review of The Secret Prayer

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secret Prayer" by John D'Onofrio.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Secret Prayer: A loving story of faith and hope that will change your life forever! by John D'Onofrio is a fictional Christian story. Bill realizes one day that regardless of his successful career and three boys, something is missing in his life, and he starts to question the reason for his existence. There must be more to his life than his sons, job, and civic activities. He decides to see his favorite teacher from when he attended high school at an all-boys prep school, Father Tom. Bill goes to the skilled care facility where 89-year-old Father Tom lives. Father Tom tells Bill there is a single-sentence prayer that will help him, but he falls asleep before revealing it. Bill spends the next few days with Father Tom before learning the one-sentence prayer that forever changes his life. Read this book to know and understand this powerful prayer and see if it impacts how you view life.

John D'Onofrio fantastically developed all the characters by introducing each of them and detailing how Father Tom impacted their lives. From a janitor who has vowed never to allow any facility resident to live in filth and offensive odors to a single mother of four boys who lost her faith, Father John brings them peace and hope. Father Tom is easily my favorite character in this book with his compassion and empathy for others. One example of how John D'Onofrio provides humor in this book is by having Father Tom jokingly refer to the dry and tasteless food served in the skilled care facility as his mom's homemade cooking. Although this is a religious book, the author does not come across as being preachy. One of the characters deciding that having more medical tests done was a waste of time and money because there was no cure demonstrated the importance of Advanced Health Care Directives. I found it interesting to learn that the seventh chords are the common chords of a jazz musician. The quote by Alan Sach, "Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives," holds a lot of truth. There are professionally illustrated hands in prayer at the book's beginning and ending. Each chapter heading describes that chapter's content.

There are no negative aspects in this short 40-page book. It has a fast-paced and smooth-flowing plot. There are only two minor errors that a professional editor could have easily missed.

This professionally edited book deserves nothing less than 5 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed this inspirational book so much that I read it in one sitting. I found no reason to deduct any stars from this book's rating.

Anyone who wants to read an inspiring story that provides you with a one-sentence prayer that may take away any problem you have, including depression or anxiety, I recommend this book to you. Since this is a Christian book that revolves around God and prayers, it is more suited for believers than non-believers of God and His powers.

The Secret Prayer
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Grace Elkana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

I like that the author wasn't preachy. This way, even non-religious folks can learn a thing or two from the book.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

There are no negative aspects in this short 40-page book. It has a fast-paced and smooth-flowing plot. There are only two minor errors that a professional editor could have easily missed. Great book.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

one-sentence prayer that forever changes his life.
Wow, I'm curious about what is that prayer. I have the same night and morning prayer. It is like meditation to me. And this prayer this book presents is so intriguing that I wanted to read the book now. I want that prayer to add to mine. Thanks for your intriguing review, Bertha! Kudos!
Annas Felix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

Father John looks like the kind of character we all pray to have in our lives. With all that is going on in the world, we need someone to inspire hope in us. This is a good and timely book to read.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Most of the assisted living facilities I have ever been in have many grumpy (deservedly so) people in them. It is refreshing to see that Father Tom has adjusted to his situation and can offer help to others.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”