Review of Ambitions

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Review of Ambitions

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ambitions" by Nicholas Arnold Ishak.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Ambitions: The Entrepreneur's Voyage, A Poem and Warning by Nicholas Arnold Ishak is a collection of nine poems that revolve around Luther, a highly driven man with an entrepreneurial spirit who hopes to achieve everything he has dreamed of. He faces problems early on, however, just like most other entrepreneurs: doubts and discouragement from both his thoughts and the people around him. The task ahead is tough, but Luther knows that he must put his doubters to shame and take what is his. His ambitions are strong, and he is willing to do whatever it takes; nonetheless, this drive can become a curse sometimes. He would get to achieve his dreams, but what would he find on the journey toward these dreams and the other side of a successful life?

I found this to be a very entertaining and educative read overall. Through Luther's story, the author has creatively explored what it entails to embark on the difficult journey that is entrepreneurship, not just highlighting the doubts but also the planning and level of confidence that goes into executing one's dreams. Also, the aspect of having to deal with betrayal on your journey, especially after you have included some people on your journey, is highlighted, and this is something that a lot of business owners have to deal with.

One key theme that I enjoyed in the book was the significance of a work-life balance, which tends to be neglected a lot of the time while we chase goals that we are fully attached to. Sometimes the fear of failure and the pressure of having to succeed for all the mouths you have to feed as an employer can make things worse, just like in Luther's case. In a lot of ways, Luther's experiences provided a lot of clarity for me, especially with how this lack of balance affected him later on.

Another enjoyable aspect of the book was how well the author succeeded in bringing Luther's emotions to life on the pages of this book. I felt so attached to his story and how he narrated his experiences, rooted for his success, and felt every bit of his failures. The journey was indeed an emotional roller coaster, and a lot of this was down to the author's poetic style of writing. The excerpt below from the poem "Mad Man Bites Back" illustrates the author's writing style as well as how determined the main character was to achieve his ambitions despite the difficulty.

"…Now you listen! In my mind, I've been fishing. I've been sitting, and I've been thinking while I've been sinking. In my predicament, giving up would be your decision. But this is my life's lesson, and I'll live it till fruition. It may take a little time, but I'm going to make it for a living!" - Page 18.

At just fifty-three pages in length, the book was an easy read for me. Also, Ambitions: The Entrepreneur's Voyage, A Poem and Warning was a professionally edited piece, as I found just one error throughout the text. There were no negatives for me as well. All things considered, I rate this book five out of five stars. Readers who enjoy poetry, as well as inspirational stories, will enjoy this book.

Ambitions
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think that I’ll read this since I am not a fan of poetry. This seems, however, more like a story about Luther’s life, so, who knows?
Anderson Galhardo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anderson Galhardo »

Another enjoyable aspect of the book was how well the author succeeded in bringing Luther's emotions to life on the pages of this book. I felt so attached to his story and how he narrated his experiences, rooted for his success, and felt every bit of his failures. The journey was indeed an emotional roller coaster, and a lot of this was down to the author's poetic style of writing. The excerpt below from the poem "Mad Man Bites Back" illustrates the author's writing style as well as how determined the main character was to achieve his ambitions despite the difficulty
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

One key theme that I enjoyed in the book was the significance of a work-life balance, which tends to be neglected a lot of the time while we chase goals that we are fully attached to. Great review.
Amna Asghar 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Amna Asghar 1 »

The importance of a work-life balance, which is sometimes disregarded as we pursue goals to which we are deeply committed, was one major concept I liked in the book. Review.
Grace Elkana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

Entrepreneurship is not easy; I speak from experience as an online entrepreneur. Books like this that provide a good guidance are very much welcome.
Goody book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody-book.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Goody book »

Sounds interesting although I'm not a fan of poetry. I must commend your review. I also love the plot of this book it paves way for easy reading.
Anita Rannoba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Anita Rannoba »

It sounds like an interesting read. Entrepreneurship is never easy and with this review I sure want to read this book to give me a step in the right direction for not only balancing work- life but how to manoeuvre through the life of being an entrepreneur.
Faruqinspired
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faruqinspired.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Faruqinspired »

For me personally, there were none. In the end, I give this book a score of 5 out of 5. This book will appeal to those who like inspirational stories and poetry.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Now you listen! In my mind, I've been fishing. I've been sitting, and I've been thinking while I've been sinking. In my predicament, giving up would be your decision. But this is my life's lesson, and I'll live it till fruition. It may take a little time, but I'm going to make it for a living!" - Page 18.
I like the author's writing style. It sounds possessive in a good way. And I like these words, it's true; I can relate. In my mind, a lot going on. Thousands of thoughts happen even if I'm just sitting.
Faruqinspired
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faruqinspired.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Faruqinspired »

The importance of a work-life balance, which is sometimes disregarded as we pursue goals to which we are deeply committed, was one major concept I liked in the book. As in Luther's situation, there are instances when the stress of attempting to satisfy everyone you have to provide for as an employer can make matters worse. Luther's experiences helped me understand a lot of things, notably how this lack of balance affected him later in life.
Annas Felix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

Work-life balance is key for every entrepreneur. The little I know about entrepreneurship, it can be so consuming that the entrepreneur has little to no time for anything else. I like that the author addresses this critical aspect of entrepreneurship.
Josephine Mercy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephine-mercy.html
Latest Review: In the Shadow of an Irish God by SD Barry

Post by Josephine Mercy »

I always enjoy reading poems. Nice work.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

This will be an interesting read and one won’t get bored easily because of its short length. Sometimes, the pressure to succeed makes us forget to have fun and also enjoy life. This is a great review.
kim farrell 1
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-farrell-1.html
Latest Review: The Dream Primer by Jeff Meyer
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by kim farrell 1 »

The review was so excellently phrased. I wanted to keep reading the review! I was further surprised to discover the book was only 53 pages. An author who can grab and hold a person's attention in that short amount of space is definitely an author I want on my bookshelf. I felt every point was covered and described in such a way as to antice the reader to want more. Outstanding review, I hope I can do just as well.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”