Review of Fragile Courage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Review of Fragile Courage

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fragile Courage" by Martha E. Casazza.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever felt like you didn’t fit in? Have you ever had a goal you pursued for years, always sure that it was meant for you, only to achieve it and suddenly doubt yourself? Transitioning to college or beginning your first job can sometimes stir these emotions.

Melina is a freshman university student, the first in her family to go to college. Her parents moved to the United States from Mexico and have worked relentlessly to give Melina and her siblings an easier life. She is torn between her family obligations, such as taking care of her nephews while her parents work, and her dream of going to college.

Margot has landed her first job as a professor in the psychology department of the college Melina is attending. In fact, she is one of Melina’s instructors. Margot is an only child of very successful parents who expect their daughter to have nothing less than an exceptional, perfect career. She, in turn, expects the same of her students. What will happen when Melina must go home for a family emergency and miss her final exam in Margot’s class, an action that could result in her dismissal from the school?

Fragile Courage by Martha E. Casazza is a coming-of-age story that presents these two characters as they adjust to their new surroundings. The chapters alternate in the first-person perspective of each woman as their lives progress in parallel until they abruptly collide. Those who have lived or worked in an environment where their background differed from their colleagues would identify with Melina’s dilemma to fit in while trying to hide her sometimes obvious differences. Her exhaustion as she tries to grasp the nuances of her new dorm life is palpable.

This story was easily digestible, and I grew attached to Melina and Margot as they found unexpected allies in their quest to fit in. It was interesting to see their parallel journeys and how they found courage in the face of fragile circumstances that helped to shape their individual growth.

I enjoyed reading from the perspective of both characters, but sometimes, alternating the point of view disrupted the reading flow. For example, when I expected a continuation of the timeline in the next chapter, the other character would retrace events from their perspective. Although this filled in details, it took me a while to reorient myself. Also, there were several instances of telling instead of showing: some dialog felt stiff and formal as it filled in the events or rationale for actions. Often, the explanation was unnecessary, as it had been covered adequately in the characters’ interactions.

I rate Fragile Courage 4 out of 5 stars. The story moved at an easy pace, and both central characters were relatable. Overall, it was well edited; I deducted 1 star because of the factors covered that disrupted the flow. I recommend this read to those who enjoy coming-of-age themes with female protagonists. The content is suitable for both teens and adults.

Fragile Courage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

I can relate to what the central characters are going through based on my own experiences of trying to "fit in". I am glad the author used female protagonists as that adds another dimension of adjustment that is often ignored in society. Thank you for another very insightful review that was beautifully structured.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Fitting in is definitely not always easy; many of us can probably relate to that feeling. The societal setting in this book sounds interesting and both Margot and Melina sound like characters I would love to meet. Thank you for the beautiful review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Asylum by Susy Smith

Post by khaulah »

Trying to fit in and finding an ally is definitely an intriguing theme. I would love to read this book should I get my hands on it. Thank you so much for your review!
Latest Review: Asylum by Susy Smith
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I can relate to Margot's problems with fitting in. They are very common in our society, so it's nice to see this book that makes people feel understood. I would love to read this. Congrats on BOTD!
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a coming-of-age story that follows Margot and Melina, each on a courageous quest to find their place in the world. Told in alternating points-of-view, readers will be pulled into their individual stories and watch them grow as their lives intersect with one another. I plan to add this to our classroom book recommendations board! Thank you for the helpful review! :-)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing coming-of-age other fiction novel highlighting the story that presents two characters as they adjust to their new surroundings. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 85645
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1322%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book of the day BOTD is other fiction inspiring and riveting journey of Melina a Mexican America college student torn between culture, family conflict ,education, personal isolation, self doubt, insecurity Melina story is an example of what Latinas go through in the USA the author captures the spirit and vibrance of community in authentic, inspiring and riveting provocative manner .the story made me think of myself as a migrant and how true this story is the book was well written and reviewed I will recommend it to many who would like to relocate to the usa some day
James Stan
Currently Reading: City of Ash and Red
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by James Stan »

Margot has a problem of fitting into her family's life and catering for her needs in life.
John Kingsley Ken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

Fitting in is always one of the social challenge an individual must face and I like how the author made it easier for the reader to relate to the storyline. Congrats on being the BOTD
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow&rsquo;s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Melina and Margot both have a similar outcome in mind for their lives. However, what they want to achieve seems to not be what their families want. Melina met Margo in college. Margo was one of her professors. The women connected and became friends. This sounds like a lovely book. I am going to have to give this one a try! Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Esther Godwin Ogechi
Currently Reading: Adventures with Pop Pop at Grant&rsquo;s Farm
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-godwin-ogechi.html
Latest Review: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin by Andri E. Elia

Post by Esther Godwin Ogechi »

"Have you ever had a goal you pursued for years, always sure that it was meant for you, only to achieve it and suddenly doubt yourself?" This really struck me. I can sadly relate to this.
For I know the thought I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, not of evil, to give you an expected end.Jeremiah 29:11
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

This sounds like an excellent read for young adults or anyone going into a new situation that they are not entirely sure about. I really like books written with perspectives from different characters as they give the plot a more rounded aspect. I'd love to see how Melina and Margot hold up in their different situations. Kudos on the really insightful review.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

It is always hard to fit in and try to hide the difference in thinking and upbringing. Trying to live up to others' expectations is another struggle many can relate to. It is easy to connect to the main characters and understand their turmoil. The author did an amazing job selecting the main theme and female characters for this book. Your detailed analysis of this novel is remarkable. Great review! 
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Fitting in is a social "requirement" and most people are so afraid of becoming outcasts because they are different or have different beliefs than others, that they sometimes lose themselves to try and fit in. I think there is a lot to learn from this book and how different family backgrounds affect people. That responsibility between your own happiness and that of keeping your family happy is also sometimes a very thin line to balance. Well done on an amazing review and for #BOTD!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”