Review of Who Writes the Rules?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Who Writes the Rules?

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who Writes the Rules?" by Norman George.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Who Writes the Rules? by Norman George is a beautiful literary work about the planet Thera and its inhabitants — their origin and general way of life. The book also brings in the love held by two different individuals.

Mosse, a freelancer in remote IT support, meets Heelia, a language translator who believes in the existence of a supreme deity. While trying to gain shelter from the incoming rain, he meets Heelia as she comes into the same lodge for the same purpose. Mosse gets intrigued by her, and they grow powerfully attracted to each other over time.

Everything seems perfect for them till they realize their very different beliefs, and this threatens the very existence of the love they share. Do they ignore this and grow in affection for each other? Or does this shatter every single thing they've built?

Norman George is a prolific writer, as seen in what he put through in this book. Combining different facts from physics, geography, biology, genetics, evolution, and other fields into a romance story can be challenging. Worthy of note is how the writer adds these explanations and facts in the perfect scenes or conversations. It is done to perfection. For instance, a conversation between Mosse and Heelia about Mosse's field of work leads to massive talks of evolution and environmental change. This particular feature greatly favors the reader, as the vast knowledge they will gain from this book will be massive. This might also bore some readers who are not into scientific phenomena. They might deem those explanations as irrelevant and uninteresting. Regardless, the author plays to his strength in this one, leveraging his experience in the IT and science world.

Who Writes the Rules? has a slight use of figurative expressions in words that aren't exactly easy to comprehend literally. An instance is this: "Mingling with colder air at higher altitudes, moisture condensed into billowing expanses of heavy droplets." This statement can mean that it started to rain. However, as the story progresses, it rains later. Hence, the writer's use of vocabulary might confuse readers who aren't well-grounded in grammar. This confusion might make them bring out their dictionaries at intervals, obstructing the reading flow. While it may keep the curious ones going, ready to discover more words, it will tire some others to the point where they might drop the book without finishing it.

Who Writes the Rules? was an interesting read. Being a lover of scientific knowledge, I enjoyed reading the facts stated in it, as it felt like I was in a lecture hall. Hence, I'd strongly recommend this book to lovers of all things science. Haters of science phenomena would not enjoy this book at all. Also, romantics willing to overlook the scientific jargon would enjoy the romance between Mosse and Heelia. The book was exceptionally edited. However, I'd rate it four out of five stars because of some of the challenges and technicalities. It would have been a perfect book if the author had simplified some concepts.

Who Writes the Rules?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
stanlo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanlo-23.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by stanlo+23 »

I am a lover of science. This book would be an amazing one to read.
Zeyad Waleed
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Zeyad Waleed »

science is not my cup of tea but I'd pick it up for the romance part. Reminds me of an amazing book called The Gold Bug Variations. Though it was hard to get through for the same reasons you mentioned
Nwoko E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-e.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nwoko E »

Who writes the Rules? has a slight use of figurative expressions that aren't exactly easy to comprehend literally. Great review.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

Great review! This line - "Mingling with colder air at higher altitudes, moisture condensed into billowing expanses of heavy droplets." This statement can mean that it started to rain. - made me laugh out loud. I love a good romance novel, and this one sounds ... different and interesting. I'll add it to my bookshelf.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t hate science, but it is not one of the things that drives me. Unfortunately, I am not a real lover of romance either. I probably won’t be trying this one.
stella chioma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by stella chioma »

Who writes the rules? Was interesting and it has a slight use of figurative expression in words that are not exactly easy to comprehend.
Abraham Blessing 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abraham Blessing 1 »

Who writes the rule? My love for scientific knowledge is massive so I enjoyed reading the the fact mentioned in this book, I advised all my fellow science student to read this book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”