Review of Sixteen years in captivity

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Sixteen years in captivity

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sixteen years in captivity" by James Optic.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sixteen years in captivity by James Optic is a volume about injustice, crime, retribution, and seeking God. The story is a testimony that the Lord Jesus Christ lives and hears His people. James was born to a teenage mother and a father who wanted nothing to do with him. As he grew up, he yearned for a parent's love, given that his mother later got remarried.

A life of crime seemed like the ideal hideout for James. Mingling with people who knew their way around drugs and guns, one thing led to another. As expected, several people died while others served time. Despite the life Optic led, God was faithful to him. At times, Satan was powerful, but the Lord was there for James. Life in the streets was not easy. James engaged in shootings and infidelity, among others. Eventually, he knew he had to turn his life around. Otherwise, serving time in prison or even death was inevitable.

I loved how uncomfortable some scenes made me. The shootings and people dying were not easy to picture in my head. Even the slightest thought of terminating a fellow human's life was unimaginable. And yet, in Optic's world, gang killings were standard. Reading the book felt like following different drug gangs competing for supremacy.

Beyond the crime-fueled plot lay a storyline of hope and trust in God. Even when things are overwhelming, God is still the driver and is in control. I only encountered several grammatical flaws, some being tense confusion. Besides that, the book is professionally edited.

There are things I didn't like. The author mentions some old street gangs using initials like we're automatically supposed to know their meanings. From time to time, he brings up words and unfamiliar names without explanations. It is up to a reader to connect the dots while not missing out on the plot. Furthermore, there are contradictory statements. For instance, James talks about how he prayed for an already dead person to get better. So, I was puzzled and wondered, "Really!" Also, the author includes so many characters. He then drops a few along the way and brings them up in another segment. At times, I got confused. Therefore, I rate the book 3 out of 5 stars.

The boldness to make a difference and accept failure was noteworthy. Many people die early from crime life, and such a testament is a good eye-opener for young adults. I recommend the work to lovers of testimonials about crime and injustice.

Sixteen years in captivity
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”