Review of Mentors and Tormentors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Mentors and Tormentors

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mentors and Tormentors" by Tim Jones MD.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Mentors and Tormentors, Tim Jones MD takes us on a journey full of life lessons through the eyes of one teenage boy named Wendall. Here, we encounter bullies, elders who share wise words, parents who pressure their kids into depression, and sibling rivalry.

As Wendall grows up, he sees flaws in his life and fails to appreciate the good things: his parents, good health, a younger brother, etc. Instead, he compares himself to taller boys, wealthy families, muscular physiques, etc. When he encounters an elderly Mrs. Brown, Wendall begins viewing life from a different outlook.

Wendall encounters a proprietor named Shorty, who gives "beer therapy." He then learns that success has risks, and even family members can be swindlers. Join Wendall in his journey to learning about life skills and employing them in his daily activities.

What I enjoyed the most was the lessons in the stories. For instance, Larry's father always wanted him to be the best at everything. He would get angry and vulgar when he didn't. Unable to fulfill all his daddy's expectations, Larry sunk into depression and got hospitalized. Toward the end of that segment, the author provides remedies for depression and how we can stand up for ourselves when confronted with such an enigma.

I loved how Wendall transitioned from a myopic teen to a wise guy full of ideas and bits of advice. Of course, there were mistakes made and lessons learned. His inquisitive nature helped him gain valuable information he could use in the future. I chuckled at the sibling rivalry between Wendall and Damon. Though the latter was the younger sibling, he was a pain in his brother's life but often challenged Wendall.

The act of bullying can lower the self-esteem of the victim. Some end up hurting themselves or growing up with pent-up anger and hatred. Recent psychological research shows that a victim of bullying is highly likely to lead a dysfunctional family. Let's train our children to be kind to others. I loved the acts of kindness in the little town of Benson. For instance, a farmer would share his produce with their neighbors and expect nothing in return. Mrs. Brown was a classic example of a good-natured lady who shared her apricots with Wendall.

I found no grammatical flaws. Therefore, Mentors and Tormentors is exceptionally edited. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. Moreover, I disliked nothing. I loved the dialogues. Some characters talk in different accents, while others unapologetically fired expletives. I recommend it to young adults and lovers of books that share life lessons through short tales.

Mentors and Tormentors
View: on Bookshelves
Jydel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Diary of a wimpy kid
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jydel.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Jydel »

Mentors and Tormentors sounds like a typical family life with challenges and successes. I love that the author provides solutions for depression.
Johnston316
Favorite Author: Laureen Giulian
Currently Reading: The First Time Father
Bookshelf Size: 12
fav_author_id: 242730

Post by Johnston316 »

Awesome review, On the Journey to Self-Respect, is an inspiring story about a teenage boy, Wendall, and his journey to discovering the importance of self-respect and understanding of human nature. The book is full of life lessons, stories of kindness and empathy, as well as a serious look into the issue of bullying. It is a great read for all ages, full of heartwarming moments and valuable lessons.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”