Review of Touch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Review of Touch

Post by OTrain Disene »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Touch" by Rebecca Miller.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Touch is a romance novel with elements of human drama and crime fiction by Rebecca Miller. The author is described as someone who loves to create characters that help people in some way, whether to heal from their traumas or to laugh and find a reason to love amidst misery. In this book, we follow two teenagers who are battling serious traumas and find healing in each other unknowingly. This novel, amongst other things, promises to educate and leave readers with a lot to think about.

Megan Brennar and her family are moving to Jessup County after the death of her mother. This new environment promises many things for this hurt family. It promises a new start and new opportunities. But perhaps, above all, it promises healing. Megan feels like his father abandoned them when they needed him the most. So this new place will enable all of them to start afresh.

This is where Megan meets this boy. His name is Shawn. Shawn isn’t like any other boy. One thing, he is isolated. He seems lonely. Something about his face piques Megan’s interest. It gets deeper. Megan gets inspired by him to draw. She tries to get closer to him during lunch break, but it is not easy. He shuts her out by ignoring her or giving short answers. But a breakthrough comes, and what she finds shakes Megan to the core. Something has been happening or rather being done to Shawn that is terrible and disgusting.

What is it about Shawn that forces Megan’s family to step in and take him in? Doesn’t he have a family? And if he does, are they protecting Shawn like they are supposed to do? What is in it for Megan? Is she hoping for something between herself and Shawn? If so, will she get it?

These many questions can be answered by picking up this book and reading it from the first page up to the last one. One thing that drew me to it was the cover page. Something about those two hands captivated me. One was gold and shining, while the other was ashy and dark. They seemed to have reached out to each other regardless of the difference in texture. Then the simplicity of the title, just Touch. I knew I had to pick the book. So the creativity of the artwork was my first like.

The first chapters gave me the idea that the book was romance. It was about a girl with a dark past who was charmed by this silent boy. But it quickly took an unexpected turn out of the clichéd and into the criminal world. The switch was indeed seamlessly woven and came out amazing. The characters of Shawn and Megan stood out from the rest. Their backstories were given properly, which will enable any reader to feel intimate with them. Their characterisation was spot on and detailed.

What I disliked was the first-person narrative used. It was told from Megan’s point of view, and most of the time, she was whining and telling a lot. I understood that was fitting for a teenage girl, but, at the same time, the plot ended up diving into unrealistic territories. For example, Shawn was going through a huge trauma, but all Megan seemed to be thinking about was the romance between them. The abuse wasn’t the focal point of the novel, but rather how to assist one who has gone through it. But, still, the way Megan’s father was depicted handling the case wasn’t commendable. Most times, it was like he didn’t know what he was supposed to be doing. Megan even told him to conduct a search in the bush, which he was reluctant to do.

The dialogue was not convincing. It all seemed out of place and forced, especially when Megan was talking to one of her brothers. The book’s pace was unsteadily fast. It wheezed through scenes when one was trying to grasp it.

Some characters, like Susan and her boyfriend, who also happened to be Megan’s big brother, didn’t add much to the overall story. The book’s conclusion was the nail to the coffin. The cliffhanger it closed with didn’t help. Now it raised the question of what we were supposed to learn from the novel when it left us with questions more than answers.

The book was professionally edited because I detected no errors. For the well-detailed reasons above, it is fair to rate this book two out of five stars. Strong language and the subject matter of abuse might be offensive and triggering for some readers. The book failed short on its own plot before many things like dialogue, pace, prose, and characterisation. I didn't like it so I don't recommend it to anyone.

Touch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kristy Murphy 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Kristy Murphy 2 »

I appreciate your candor.
Edet Joy
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edet-joy.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Edet Joy »

I wish this book did better, it had so much potential
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Thanks for the honest and detailed review. I don't think that I would choose this book, but it seems that the author has a good potential to be a good writer in the future.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

Edet Joy wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 18:03 I wish this book did better, it had so much potential
it certainly did.

"it certainly did!"
Sarah Sonbol wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 23:36 Thanks for the honest and detailed review. I don't think that I would choose this book, but it seems that the author has a good potential to be a good writer in the future.
Thank you very much for taking time to read my review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”