Review of Bespoke Betrayals and Sartorial Secrets

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Bespoke Betrayals and Sartorial Secrets

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bespoke Betrayals and Sartorial Secrets" by Marc Kage.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Bespoke Betrayals and Sartorial Secrets by Marc Kage, Jabir Soni was a photographer who, while enjoying the passion behind his work, wanted to hit it big just like some other photographers. While he stayed in Boston, he was a small powerhouse with connections to models and magazines. He was making a name for himself gradually and could pay his bills. Michelle Evans-Soni, his wife, was a publicist who could be described as a small powerhouse, too, back in Boston. She had done her fair share of slandering the competition and taking on some other shady activities for her clients to have the upper hand, but Jabir did not know about this side of her job. This shady job led her to the path of scammers and landed her in heavy debt. She kept that away from Jabir as usual before they moved to Melford.

Jabir, in Melford, was going through a rough patch business-wise when his best friend, Aaron Thorne, decided to help him with a new job. Michelle, on the other hand, had mortgaged their house to pay off her debts, and now, the house was in danger of repossession. She took up a job with a man called Hector. The new job involved a shady deal and lots of money. It turned out she had to smear Aaron's name and sabotage his business. Would she do this to her husband's best friend to save the house and secure a good future?

I love the plot of this book. It seemed to be a well-thought-out and organized story by the author. There was no cliché part in the story whatsoever, and this made me really enjoy reading it. The dialogues were not never-ending and unduly elongated. They were precise, adding the right spice to the beautiful story. Every character in the book had a specific role to play. The author gave life to these characters through the thoughtful way he conveyed their feelings and thoughts with his well-crafted words. There were no grammatical errors, indicating that the book was exceptionally well edited. I also liked the character development in this book, and I would cite Kristina as an example; she was transformed from someone who could not keep a job and was deemed irresponsible to a lady who had dreams and was determined to achieve them even though most things were not working out along the line. This could also be seen with another character in the story.

I feel a little more could have been done concerning the technicality of the book. The author could have tried to simplify things, especially when writing about publicity and how it impacts the fashion industry. This was seen mainly with the main characters. Even though a reader with no idea of how it works can read and understand what it entails, it may take some time for the details to sink in, so I think it could have been explained better. There are not really a lot of issues found in this book, and that is commendable.

I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. The story encompasses some of the struggles couples experience while trying to be successful. It also goes into detail about the fashion industry and some of the techniques used to make it big there. I don't believe the issue I pointed out in the third paragraph is enough to warrant the deduction of a star. For an exceptionally well-edited book, I can't deduct any stars from it.

I recommend this book to lovers of suspenseful stories with a bit of adventure. This book is also recommended to lovers of fiction and themed books. They would enjoy reading it just like I had so much fun reading it.

Bespoke Betrayals and Sartorial Secrets
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I can understand Michelle’s desperation and her unwillingness to confide in Jabir. She seems to have done many unsavory things to get where she is. Why wouldn’t she treat Jabir’s friend badly?
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I agree with you when you say this plot was well thought out and organized. Will Michelle carry out this horrible task just to make it? I will find out after I have read the book. Thank you for a wonderful review.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I cannot imagine being married to such a shady woman. What happened to honesty and transparency in relationships? Thanks for the review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”