Review of Wonders in the Waves

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Wonders in the Waves

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wonders in the Waves" by Jennifer Collins.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

W​onder in the Waves: A Novel Inspired by Love That Does Not Die was the perfect story for me. Jennifer Collins incorporates everything I like: a beach scene cover, a Florida setting, and a family drama. The theme of the healing power of waves describes my lifetime therapy sessions, and it was nice to have the affirmation explained in such a beautifully written story.

L​arissa, the protagonist in this fictionalized memoir, narrates the difficulties she faced in the year after her daughter's death. Although this book is a sequel to the story surrounding that event, there is enough background information included to be able to read this second book as a standalone novel. Hoping to fill a void, Alissa searches for a son, Everett, who she gave up for adoption when she was sixteen. The search leads to complications involving her sons, her friends, and other family members. Whenever the struggle seems too much, Larissa finds strength and courage from the healing waves.

A​mong the many things that I like is that every chapter begins with an appropriate quote. I liked that some were from names that I recognized, and others were unfamiliar. Another aspect of the book I liked was the foreshadowing, which varied from subtle to obvious. There were many coincidences that I saw coming, but enough were unexpected to keep me interested. The writer's ability to write realistic dialogue was impressive. The exchanges between Larissa and her son, Eric, made it easy to understand their relationship. The exchanges between Larissa and her friends made it easy for me to relate to those characters, too.

S​omething I did not realize before I began the book is that the subject of psychic mediums and spiritual messages from beyond the grave form part of the narrative. Even though this belief isn't the main focus of the book, it is my least favorite aspect. I liked hearing about the ways Larissa found to honor the memory of her daughter, Emma, and how she coped with getting through her birthday and the anniversary of her death, but the scenes where she saw and heard Emma disturbed me.

Because the positives outweigh the negatives, I am rating this 5 out of 5. I think there is something for everyone in this book. Readers who have suffered a loss of a child can find comfort. Readers who have been part of an adoption can receive guidance. Readers who are members of grief support groups can relate. Readers who love reading about beach-related activities will be entertained and educated. Readers who need a self-help book on overcoming obstacles presented in a gentle instructive manner will be rewarded. Readers who are not open-minded about psychic occurrences might miss out on the benefits of reading this inspirational book.

Wonders in the Waves
View: on Bookshelves
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Are Alissa and Larissa different characters? I found it a bit confusing. Anyway, I'm curious how Everett's life unfolds in this book, and if ever Alissa finds him or not. Thanks for your review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I can relate to finding comfort in the sights and sounds of ocean waves on the shore, but I'm not sure I'd invest time into reading a book about loss and grief.
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

I like that each chapter began with an appropriate quotes. I like reading quotes, especially quotes of historic figures. Quotes can be poetic and very insightful.
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I'm interested in knowing how events unfold in the lives of Larissa and Everett. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I am drawn to the book cover. There is something calming and healing about water and waves. Will definitely be reading this one. Awesome review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I can relate to L​arissa's story. It is painful to lose a loved one especially when he or she is needed most. Of a truth, true love never dies. I enjoy the review and how it was written. Good job.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Need to say again that the cover of this book is a hook? I could relate with the storyline and nost especially feel the pain of Larissa. You review is just exceptional and makes me want to add this book to bookshelf. Well done!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”