Review of I Know

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of I Know

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Know" by Stephen Bratcher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I Know by Stephen Bratcher is a fictional novel that will open your eyes to the plight of those less fortunate than you. Ask yourself what you would do; how far you would go if you found yourself in a desperate situation. Perhaps you would steal. Or sell drugs to get some much-needed money. Or would you become a prostitute? I am sure you said an emphatic no to all these things, but what if no other alternative was available?

Teresa is a thirteen-year-old girl who was raped and impregnated by her mother's boyfriend. A few years after the child is born, she and her child move in with her boyfriend, who becomes physically abusive. She is young, has a child, and has to get away from her boyfriend, but her mother won't let her return home. How does Teresa get through these trials in her life? Then there is Thomas. Thomas is a young man who wants to do what is right but keeps finding himself in hot water by hanging out with the wrong crowd. Those same friends let him take the fall for their crimes and spend years in prison while they walked free and continued their lives of crime. What happened to Thomas once he was released from prison and tried to make his way back into society? And ultimately, there is Trey, a young drug dealer who constantly tempts younger boys to sell drugs for him, and he would take the money. These young boys get caught, and Trey finds more to take their place. Trey will do anything to avoid trouble, even throwing his friends under the proverbial bus.

Bratcher touches on multiple issues that affect people today. The characters in the book go through many trials. Most live in poverty and can't seem to get a break. They know they are doing wrong but don't feel they have a choice. Rape, incest, domestic violence, drug dealing, and poverty can change who you are. This book reveals that in so many ways. The story comes full circle around the characters at the end. When we handle issues differently than those in this book, it is challenging to understand why they do what they do. What I liked most about this book is the realistic way the author portrayed each character and their outcome. Be prepared for a myriad of emotions, along with a few shocks. There is one shining light amongst all the tragedies, but I will leave the reader to find out who it is and what happens to them in the end.

The only negative aspects I found in this book were the number of errors and the frequent profanity. The errors didn't interfere with my enjoyment of reading, but they were just enough to warrant taking away one star. A round of editing would be beneficial. The profanity was frequent but was realistic for the theme of the book.

This book has a compelling storyline, and the author's writing skills are simplistic and easy to follow. The dialogue is befitting of the lifestyle of the characters. For those reasons, I rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars. I deducted one star for the number of errors. I recommend this book to those adult readers who enjoy dramatic stories. There is violence, but not too extreme. However, the book has a significant amount of profanity, so I would not recommend it to anyone under sixteen.

I Know
View: on Bookshelves
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Jibu Mathew
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jibu Mathew »

Stephen Bratcher's book "I Know" is a suspenseful and riveting story of three individuals who are faced with dire circumstances that eventually lead them to travel roads they never expected.
Jibu Mathew
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jibu Mathew »

I Know is a unique and intriguing novel that explores the concept of mind-reading. The protagonist's struggle to keep his power hidden is a relatable and realistic depiction of the difficulties of being different. The author's descriptions of the character's internal struggles are vivid and engrossing. The plot is well-crafted, with unexpected twists and turns that keep the reader engaged. The relationships between the characters are complex and nuanced, with a sense of depth and authenticity. The writing style is polished and concise, with a good balance between action and introspection. Overall, I Know is a fascinating and thought-provoking novel that offers a fresh perspective on the superhero genre. It is an excellent read for anyone who enjoys character-driven stories with a touch of the supernatural.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Life really dealt with Teresa. It's filled with tragedy for her. I hope at the end it won't be a bit brighter for her. Who knows!.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Favyugwu wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 04:50 Life really dealt with Teresa. It's filled with tragedy for her. I hope at the end it won't be a bit brighter for her. Who knows!.
She really did have it hard! Thanks for stopping by!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

"I am sure you said an emphatic no to all these things, but what if no other alternative was available?" These words alone caused me to reflect honestly and my answer changed to maybe. Sad how others have no other options. Thanks for the review!
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

"I am sure you said an emphatic no to all these things, but what if no other alternative was available?" These words alone caused me to reflect honestly and my answer changed to maybe. Sad how others have no other options. Thanks for the review!
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

ElinaT wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 10:07 "I am sure you said an emphatic no to all these things, but what if no other alternative was available?" These words alone caused me to reflect honestly and my answer changed to maybe. Sad how others have no other options. Thanks for the review!
Sometimes there are no other options! Sometimes there are options, and we don't see them. Whatever the situation, no one can say an emphatic no because until we are faced with circumstances, we really don't know how we would handle them! Everyone's initial reaction is survival.
B. Creech

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”