Review of Blood on the Scarecrow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Review of Blood on the Scarecrow

Post by E Daves »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blood on the Scarecrow" by Glenn Thomas Canning.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Daniel Tanner lost his parents when he was little in a car accident. He felt guilty and responsible for their deaths for many years because his parents were going to get him a puppy for his birthday when a drunk driver collided with their vehicle. All grown up and raised by his grandfather (who has dementia), he was running a construction business. After completing a construction job for a friend, Jim, who couldn't pay him at the time, Jim gave him a rescue dog as a gift. Daniel was sure not in a state of mind to have a pet, especially a dog, as he still blames himself for his parent's tragic demise. So, he planned to return the dog to the shelter and find him another home. The fact that the dog was smart and also an orphan like Daniel seems to pull at his heart. He named the dog Sambuca and ended up keeping him.

A year later, after a dog show, dogs in the state started going missing mysteriously. An animal control officer named Beau and his father were involved in suspicious activities. It appears that a wealthy and powerful man was organizing illegal dogfights. Daniel, of course, does not know anything about this until Sambuca goes missing. Will Daniel be able to recover his dog amid his father's worsening dementia? Find out when you read this book.

Blood on the Scarecrow by Glenn Canning is the first book of a trilogy. The book has many characters, but the author makes it easy for the readers to remember them and keep tabs on them. He introduces new major characters in a new chapter and gives some background information about them. I love the character of Anthony Kurtis. I love his humor and how he keeps Little G. in place. I mostly admire Daniel for how he would go to lengths to find Sambuca. Buca was a true friend and companion, so he deserved all the sacrifices Daniel made for him. The book has a good plot and an interesting storyline.

This book shows there are still good people everywhere, no matter what circumstances have been thrown at them at different stages in life. This is the case of Deputy Ken and Travis. The book taught me that even if everyone around me is tolling for the evil side of life, I should always remain firm in my stance for good because it takes only one candle with light to illuminate the world.

I didn't particularly appreciate how some characters did not act according to their descriptions. Little G., for instance, was described as a boy who goes to Berkshire Prep but was recently kicked out. The way Anthony talks to him, his behavior, and his later interactions with TJ paint him as just a boy. However, I found out much later in the book that he was in his early twenties. Even his father, Mr. Dominick, did not meet my expectations of the mean man he was described as. But I have high expectations for the continued development of his character in the next book of the trilogy.

I would recommend this book to those who love action-filled thrillers. It has themes of family, friendship, and crime. Hence, if you are interested in these themes and if you are a dog lover, you should read this book. The book's editing is perfect, and I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. This is because the book has a wonderful plot, and the negative aspect I mentioned above is not severe enough for me to remove a star from the rating.

Blood on the Scarecrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Danoduor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danoduor.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Danoduor »

Blood on the scarecrow review is superb, i can feel the story and enjoy it.
zynnyx_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zynnyx.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by zynnyx_ »

I love the book cover. I also appreciate the soundness of your review.
:D
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

This seems like an interesting book and a great start to it's series. Exciting review!
king_paul_009
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by king_paul_009 »

It is impressive the things that we can discover from an impulse, the emergence of creativity is something magical and special, the fact that epic fantasy stories arise is proof of this.
Mastan0001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mastan0001 »

The book was really awesome
I like to read the books which are related to puppies and little pets and the book was excellent
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

Just when Daniel was beginning to be adapt with the dog. This will be an interesting book. Impressive review.
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

The book's opening is heartbreaking, as we learn about Daniel Tanner's tragic past. The author does an excellent job of setting up the story and creating empathy for the main character. The author's descriptions of the setting are vivid and make it easy for the reader to imagine the world of the story.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by James Smith_ »

The relationship between Daniel and his grandfather, who has dementia, is a poignant and touching part of the story. The book shows how difficult it can be to care for a loved one with dementia and how it can impact the caregiver's own mental health.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

The book's themes of redemption and second chances are uplifting and give hope to readers who may be struggling with their own past mistakes. The book's depiction of small-town life is charming and adds to the overall atmosphere of the story.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

The mystery surrounding the missing dogs is intriguing and keeps the reader engaged throughout the book. The author does an excellent job of building tension and creating suspense as the story progresses.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

Sambuca, the rescue dog, is a wonderful addition to the story. The way that Daniel initially resists keeping the dog, but eventually forms a deep bond with him, is a heartwarming part of the book.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

The book's pacing is well done, with the story moving along at a steady pace without ever feeling rushed or slow. The author does an excellent job of balancing the action with the emotional moments.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Salome Ogani »

The book's themes of family and friendship are important and add depth to the story. The relationships between the characters feel genuine and are a highlight of the book. The character of Anthony Kurtis is a standout in the book, with his humor and quick wit adding a lot of personality to the story.
Rose Lineani
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

The book's editing is excellent, with no noticeable errors or typos. The book's message of standing up for what is right, even in the face of adversity, is an important one for readers of all ages.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”